Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Bella is 9 months now and she is shedding a lot. It's been going on for several months and I have no clue as to when and if it's ever going to stop. I went to the grooming section and found lots of information on what types of brushes to get to help. I'm wondering if I can get some insight on other than brushing, what do you guys do to keep the house clean? I feel like everyday I am sweeping up dustpans filled with hair it seems like a loosing battle right now! So if there are some neat freaks out there who can share some secrets with me that would be awesome :) Like are there any special tools/cleaning supplies that you use? Would an air purifier suck up the hair or is that just for allergens? LOL it's okay if you want to laugh at me I know this is kind of silly but it's driving me nuts...

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
You own a shedding dog, you get used to it. You really do.

Muggsy would shed another dog twice a year and shed enough fur to lightly coat the floors every other day. I like Swiffer for getting fur off of hardwoods and tile. The vacuum is really nice, but even just the cloths work well. As to what vacuum is good, let me know. We went through a vacuum every 6 months. I got a year out of a Dirt Devil once.

I still have lint removers at my desk at work, in my purse, in my MIL's car and at the house. I bought a leather(ish) couch, which helps a lot. I can just wipe the cushions down with a Swiffer cloth.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Shedding happens with (almost) all dogs daily. Some dogs shed heavily and others not so much. If you have any kind of long, double coated breed you'll basically always have fur laying about and once or twice a year (usually twice) you'll get about 6 weeks where the dog blows out their entire undercoat.

The best thing (really the only thing) to do is basically to just vacuum and sweep every day and buy stock in lint rollers. Brushing the dog out everyday will also help with the amount of hair you find around the house.

Shedding comes with owning dogs but you can minimize how much and how often shedding happens with the right breed (and whether it will be lots of itty bitty teeny tiny hairs or longer hairs).

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
This might not be helpful . . . but my decision was to not be a neat freak anymore. We celebrate the dust bunnies here after owning many herders and a husky for 16 years. We also now have leather furniture and hard surface flooring with throw rugs. :)

As for helpful suggestions I have a neat freak friend who gets her shedding dog (Golden Retriever) washed/groomed/stripped/trimmed up every six-eight weeks like a non-shedding dog would often get and has found this helps incredibly.

SOB

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
This might not be helpful . . . but my decision was to not be a neat freak anymore. We celebrate the dust bunnies here
SOB
Probably the best answer ever in existence! I'm not a neat freak so this never occurred to me! So thank you, SOB <3!

·
Registered
943 Posts
My Shiba sheds 365 days a year, so does my Kelpie, but Cash sheds significantly more. He has that doublecoat, and he blows his seasonal coat profusely twice a year, but he still sheds ALL the time. You just get used to losing the battle, trust me. Fortunately, for some reason, my dogs hair does not get on my clothes. I never use a lint roller other than in my truck on the carpeted floors. I recently bought a truck with leather seats to help avoid dog hair sticking to the seats and what not but it still threads into the floor carpet. It also permastuck into the carpet in my house, despite constant vacuuming efforts. Got leather furniture too.. Next step is to put hardwood in my house as %75 of it is carpet lol.

I just do my best to stay on top of it, but I still never win, I brush him a couple times a week, sweep, dust and vaccuum at least once a week and thats about as much as I can do but I still collect balls of fur occasionally. I have burbur carpet, which is terrible for hair, it just threads into it and sticks. There worth it though, what can I say. Doesn't bother me anymore lol.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks you guys! I know that shedding is part of the deal and I totally understand that. I think part of it is my vacuum is not working well at all. Also my couch is a tweed material and the hair seems to stick to it (very frustrating). Next couch I get will def. be pleather or something like that. I think the swiffer might help to keep the hair under control more I'll try that out...

·
Super Moderator
7,365 Posts
I personally have learned to live with it. I keep lint rollers handy, and I have two separate sets of clothing, one for going out, and one for around the house.

If you don't mind paying the money, when I was a bather at a dog grooming salon, we had a number of double coated dogs that would come in once a week for a bath and blow out with our high velocity dryers. Those dryers (we referred to them as blasters, lol) do an amazing job at getting out all the loose undercoat.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I usually whip out the slicker at least once a day, then a fine comb to get those tufts.
I also have to vacuum 2-3 times a day.
Lint rollers are my besties.
It's something you can go behind and maybe keep in check, but it's also something that's a real 'deal with it' sorta thing.

·
Registered
463 Posts
If you have hardwood or tile floors, I would invest in a long handle dust mop with one of those rotating heads and the twisty braids all around (wow that was a horrible description) They are amazing! It just takes a second to sweep the room and some back with a giant pile of hair that you just put in the garbage, poof done! I will try to find one like I'm talking about to try and give a better explanation.

Edit: Like this!
http://www.walmart.com/ip/O-Cedar-Every-Which-Way-All-Surface-Dust-Mop-Refill-1ct/15723887

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a Dyson Animal vacuum, and it's amazing. I've had it probably 6 years, through two rabbits and now two dogs. I think it got gummed up once, and it was because the fur had gotten wrapped around the roller things on the bottom and had to be cut off. They're super expensive, but I think it's worth the expense, especially if you consider how many vacuums I could have burned out by now.

I'd also recommend the furminator (http://www.furminator.com/store) for getting rid of excess hair before it ends up all over the house. I'd recommend using it outside though - we get left with enough loose fur to stuff a sofa every time we use it, so we just use it outside and let it float away.

Other than that, we have a microfiber couch (I don't find leather very cozy), and it made a huge difference in de-hairing the couch, but mostly we kind of live with the fur. We vacuum every week or so when it gets really bad (or when people are coming over), lint-roll when it's on the clothes, and move on. The dogs are worth putting up the fur, and honestly I just can't be bothered to worry too much about having a hairy house.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Lol! After having two dogs who basically do not seemingly shed ... you can wear black and will not find a white hair on you ... I have Abbylynn ... she sheds like crazy! I have also gotten used to it. I brush her every other day and I use a Furminator on her maybe once a month ... but careful not to cut guard hairs as best I can. Now ... when I see a black dog hair blown up onto the table while I am eating dinner .... that is a different story! I threaten to get the clippers after her and give her a Poodle cut! .... But we all know I would never do such a thing! Lol! :D

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I vacuum often, sweep often, brush the dog (preferably outdoors)...often. I still have fur floating around the house, on the furniture and on our clothes. When we dress up nice, Buster is put in his room before we dress and we take a lint brush to each other before we leave the house. Bus gets monthly baths & blown out with the shop vac, more for his allergies & skin issues than shedding but it does seem to help. Beyond that, I just live with it. The shedding (and drool) is a small price to pay for the love & companionship he gives.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Jubel only has a single coat and really doesn't seem to shed that badly but I still absolutely love my dyson animal vacuum. But then again I'm really not bothered by the hair anyways. The only shedding that I've found annoying has come from my fosters who frequently haven't been brushed anywhere near as much as the should be. The last two (current foster included) were shedding like crazy when they got here. I did a lot of brushing and vacuuming, Duncan's coat is much better now but it's still shedding what I think is lightly for him... His lightly is about as heavy as Jubel ever sheds.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
When my husband and I became home owners the house we decided to get a minor fixer upper so we could get the flooring and stuff we really wanted. We laid dog proof pergo down on the floors. ( contrary to common belief hardwood floors are not the best for dogs.) and wee proof padding and carpet in the bedrooms. our rental before our house had hardwood EVERYWHERE and I couldn't control the tumble weed hair balls. they had nothing to cling too! so we decided to do some carpeting and it works out great. especially so the hair doesn't get under the bed.

Our couches have removable Corduroy durable cover that I can pop in the wash machine all the time to get the hair off and or dirty doggie foot prints. dog barf. drool...and so on.... and we vacuum the floors almost every day with a sweep in between. I am not a neat freak at all but I have allergies so we try to keep the hair level down. We got a air purifier which is like turbo charged helps suck the floating hair out. works super well. and is very durable. when we first got it my husky was still a pup and fancied peeing on it. you can take it apart completely and wash it very thoroughly. other then that my biggest issue is the bedding since my dogs sleep in the bed. have to wash our bedding every couple days. >.< it does take a bit more effort in a house with a shedding breed dog. there is more work involved but I wouldn't change a thing about it. it helped me be a cleaner person since before I was married I tended to be very disorganized =-p but one trick I like is if something has hair on it throw it in the drier for a cycle it works super well.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
We vacuum clean once a day, and we have carpets and hardwood floor. Still, we cannot escape the white hair.

Brushing every day or multiple times a week is not making a dog shed less. In fact, it stimulates the coat to shed more. The advice we got for our shepherd (stockhair coat) from our groomer was this: (maybe it works for you too)

Every six weeks, bathe the dog, then brush thoroughly. No more often than about once every six weeks, to prevent the coat from shedding more than it needs to. When this is done consequently, the coat will maintain a six-week-shedding-rhythm. (which, according to our groomer, is a natural cycle for a stockhair coat)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have 2 dogs in the house right now and they shed a good bit. The best advice to give is brush daily or at least 3x a week and i vacuum twice a day...Once before i leave for work and once before i go to bed. Also, swiffers are amazing for my hardwood floors and those times when the BF is sleeping in late so i dont wake him with the vacuum!

PS...i'm OCD about my floors being clean so the avg person may not clean theirs as much as i do....I just feel that if the floors are dirty then it gets on your feet and u bring it to bed with you! =) i've loosened up a bit lately though with it!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We got a air purifier which is like turbo charged helps suck the floating hair out. works super well. and is very durable. when we first got it my husky was still a pup and fancied peeing on it.
LOL! I was really wondering about the air filter, thanks for that info!

Brushing every day or multiple times a week is not making a dog shed less. In fact, it stimulates the coat to shed more. The advice we got for our shepherd (stockhair coat) from our groomer was this: (maybe it works for you too)

Every six weeks, bathe the dog, then brush thoroughly. No more often than about once every six weeks, to prevent the coat from shedding more than it needs to. When this is done consequently, the coat will maintain a six-week-shedding-rhythm. (which, according to our groomer, is a natural cycle for a stockhair coat)
This is really interesting...Is is just for German Shepherd breeds or all dogs? I'm not sure what breed Bella is because she was a stray pup...Do German Shepherds shed a lot?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Furball war!!

This is after 2 days down our one laminate hallway

1 - 20 of 29 Posts