Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! My boston/boxer-ish mix is just about 100% deaf. Some very loud or shrill noises he will hear but not know where they came from.. could also be that he doesn't actually hear them and is just reacting to my other dogs' body language when they hear them. As far as we know, he has been deaf since he was born. He came into our lives when he was about a year and a half old, and we've had the please of sharing our lives with him for the past 4 years.

We have the very basic stuff down, and he picks up hand signals like a champ. He knows sit, down, stay, off, come (when he is looking at me), bad dog, and responds to us pointing in the direction we want him to skidaddle if he is in the way of what we are doing.

I am looking into finding a good dog school for us to attend to develop our skills more, but would like to get started sooner than later =)

My big question to those who have successfully managed it is this: What is the best way to get his attention when he is across the room? I would really love to learn how to do that so that so that we can start calling on his recall. He's great at coming to the signal when he is looking at me and doesn't have a lot of outside stimulus, but if those conditions aren't there neither are his manners! Of course whenever we are outside the home he is on lead, and always will be due to the fact that his terrier instincts are very strong when it comes to small fast moving critters such as squirrels and rabbits, but I would love to start doing agility with him and need to be able to get him to focus on me more when there are distractions!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!!
Kate

PS: His "call name" is Evil (or DumDum, affectionately of course) and his "official" name is Hears No Evil. Not that it really matters at all for training, its just such a cute name for a deaf dog I like to brag about it :clap2:

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I believe they make vibrating collars (not shock collars, just a simple vibration) that can be used to get the dog's attention.

·
Registered
868 Posts
There are some members with deaf dogs on here so hopefully they will reply!

You could flicker the lights in the house to use as a come signal, and also use a flash light. Do you have a good job signal? I did a fair amount of research before getting Ammy as I was a little worried she might have been deaf (in fact that may have been how I found dog forums). I also watched a video of a trainer who trained her deaf dog to just check in with her every 10 seconds. A vibrating collar is a good idea, especially for getting that "look at me" command down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the tip on the vibrating collar! I will definitely look into those. And yes, I have a sign for "good boy!" too =)

·
Registered
340 Posts
I was going to recommend some type of vibration, like a stomp on the ground (that's what we did when we owned a blind and deaf dog), but the vibration collar sounds wonderful. Wish they would have had that when we had our hearing/vision disabled boy!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts