Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
actually it should help the op, who admits to not knowing what the problem actually is. And like i said before, a lot of owners think they are brushing thoroughly when they arent. All im saying is that is worth a try. I understand you own a doublecoated breed, but i groom these dogs everyday. I hear the op's story often and many times its better after a professional does the job. And if it doesnt make the itchiness go away then thats one step closer to figuring out what the problem is
Have you been reading the posts?:eek: Ioreks_mom said she thinks she knows what her problem is, we'll know in due time;)

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
i appreciate the help. i am pretty sure my vet would have told me his coat was impacted when she checked him for fleas, which he doesn't have. when iorek blew his coat i was brushing him at least 45 minutes each day with a rake and i was combing out 1 inch sections at a time and combing right down to the skin. (i was a hairstylist in a previous career, and i understand that it is not the same as dog grooming but i do know how to get tangles out :)) if this is not getting all the fur out then i don't know what will. i have since gotten the fur out of his bum (above his tail) area and i am working on the area behind his head.

i am pretty darn sure i know what the problem is. it is displacement. he chews on his legs and scratches his "armpits". we are working on this problem. we are taking out to the soccer pitch 2 times a day and running him a lot. once we move into the house (we are in a small apt now until the house is ready) we will look into the harness and cart thing. plus, we are getting a puppy soon and i think that iorek will be too busy to scratch or chew anymore after that!

i would love to get iorek professionally groomed but, unfortunately, with his issues with strangers, i don't want to risk it. we have come so far with him and i don't want him to go back to the way he was before.

again, thank you for your help, but we are pretty sure we figured it out. we had the vet's help and this seems most likely, and makes me feel the worst. it may all go back to his first 4 1/2 months in a kennel, with nothing else to do but chew his legs :(

·
Registered
361 Posts
I know you ruled out food allergies but have you done other allergy testing? Dogs can be allergic to many things beyond food. As I always mention, we had a dog that was allergic to cats, and living with one! They can also be allergic to grass, pollen, mold, etc... just like people. It will almost always show as itchy skin especially on the paws and front legs. It can also contribute to ear infections and anal sac issues.

If you are interested in doing allergy testing and shots ask your vet about HESKA testing. They are the only lab in the country that does it. You will need to have your vet send off a blood sample along with some history on the allergies and where you live (they test for the allergens common in your area). If it comes back with strong allergies then they can make up a set of allergy shots that you would give at home.

Best of luck with whatever you decide!

·
Registered
494 Posts
i appreciate the help. i am pretty sure my vet would have told me his coat was impacted when she checked him for fleas, which he doesn't have. when iorek blew his coat i was brushing him at least 45 minutes each day with a rake and i was combing out 1 inch sections at a time and combing right down to the skin. (i was a hairstylist in a previous career, and i understand that it is not the same as dog grooming but i do know how to get tangles out :)) if this is not getting all the fur out then i don't know what will. i have since gotten the fur out of his bum (above his tail) area and i am working on the area behind his head.

i am pretty darn sure i know what the problem is. it is displacement. he chews on his legs and scratches his "armpits". we are working on this problem. we are taking out to the soccer pitch 2 times a day and running him a lot. once we move into the house (we are in a small apt now until the house is ready) we will look into the harness and cart thing. plus, we are getting a puppy soon and i think that iorek will be too busy to scratch or chew anymore after that!

i would love to get iorek professionally groomed but, unfortunately, with his issues with strangers, i don't want to risk it. we have come so far with him and i don't want him to go back to the way he was before.

again, thank you for your help, but we are pretty sure we figured it out. we had the vet's help and this seems most likely, and makes me feel the worst. it may all go back to his first 4 1/2 months in a kennel, with nothing else to do but chew his legs :(
Well as I said, also being a fluffy dog owner, I know what you are going through and I know that you know your dog better than anyone here does thats why I didn't persist anymore;) Don't feel bad and blame yourself, you are doing a great job at caring for your dog, I'm thinking that maybe a little help from another K9 Companion will do Iorek good. Best of wishes!

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
thanks guys.

i am not sure about the HESKA testing. we live in baie verte, newfoundland, canada, population 1300...no vet! i will have to take him to corner brook, which is not a problem, but i don't know if HESKA would have the common allergins listed for our small town :) i think that i will try benedryl for a few days and see how that works out. i am not sure the dose but i will contact the vet first.

thank you jr. dog expert, for the sympathies. you understand what we are going through :) it is a long process but i will figure it out, i am sure! i am worried that it started as displacement and now has become habit. although, it is not his neck that he is scratching anymore, it is now his legs. we will have to see how the benedryl works and also the new "brother" may help. we are running him like nuts now, but it has been hot so we are going morning and night and for short times, and i think that it is really helping.

thank you again :)

21 - 26 of 26 Posts