Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 12 week old puppy. She is a pitbull mixed with a lab. I got Truffle (My dog) on february 11, 2012. It has been a week since i have owned her and since day one, she has ran from me and my family and tries her best to keep no contact with us. I have given her space, and tried to attempt to pet her but she runs away then sits and stares at me. She is very timid, i have an older chow named diesal who is 10 yrs, whos Truffle simply loves to play with and follow around. I have played tug-o-war with her but once i move into to pet her, she runs away and doesn't come back. She is now sick with Kennel cough, ive given her her medicine and then she leaves to go outside and sleep. I need advice on how to make her more social. I would really aprreciate the help. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Stop trying to pat her. Just sit in a room near her, and toss treats to her when she looks at you, and drop treats to her when you walk past her. It can take a month or so for dogs to adjust to new places/people. Plus when dogs feel sick, they tend to not want to be messed with. Let her be the one to approach you, and when she does, give her a treat (something yummy like tiny pieces of cut up hot dog) that she can eat right then...not a chew that encourages her to take it and leave with it to chew on it.)
When she is no longer sick, and is vaccinated, start walking her and your other dog together, as it will help everyone bond, as well as release excess energy which can contribute to anxiety.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts