Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
In a few weeks I'll be the proud new mommy of a chihuahua/yorkie mix. A former student of mine's mother offered me one of her puppies, as she already has 3 other dogs. I'm excited about being able to give this puppy a loving, new home...however, I wasn't raised around pets, so I'm VERY nervous about what to expect. I've never been a "pet person" until I saw this little angel... I fell in love. I've spent countless hours (internet) researching care, potty training, diet, housebreaking etc. I'm off work during summer months so I'll have plenty of time to devote to the training process but my biggest concern is what will happen when I go back to work. I nor my husband will be able to leave work midday to let her out or feed her. I anxiously await any helpful advice. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I have never raised a puppy myself, that said I would do the following:

1). Sign up puppy for some puppy kindergarten/obedience training classes.

2). Research vets, choose one and set up puppy for an appointment within 48 hours of bringing him/her home.

3). Get a crate and read up on crate training.

4). Get some tags made so you have them ready as soon as the dog comes home.

5). Buy lots chew toys for the teething phase.

6). Get a nice camera if you don't already have one so you can post lots of pictures! :D

I'm sure there's a lot more but that's all I could think of off the top of my head. Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you sooo much for your reply! If you think of anything else please let me know. Max is such a cutie!

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
You will get LOTS of advice on here. What Max said is a great start. One thing I always tell people, think of your puppy like a baby:

1. They will need to potty shortly after waking up
2. They will need to potty shortly after eating
3. They will need to potty shortly after playing
4. They will need to potty alot

Oh, and the camera is a MUST because it is required that all forum members post lots of pictures of their dogs, 'specially when they are cute little puppies, so when those of us didn't have their dogs as puppies can watch them grow up! :p

Can't wait to see pictures. Have you picked out a name yet?

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
There is a LOT to learn about raising a puppy and I don't think anyone could possibly squeeze into one post! Here is an e-book by a very well-known trainer, Ian Dunbar. He's provided it free on his website. It's called "Before You Get Your Puppy".

http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/you-get-your-puppy

If you find it useful, he has also written a book called "After You Get Your Puppy", though I don't think that's free.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts