Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just so frustrated with people's lack of common sense/ability to take advice from those who have succeeded where they have not.

My sister owns a two year-old daschund named Nacho who has never been potty trained. He pees and poops in the house on a regular basis. I was constantly trying to figure out why, because her story is that they take him out after every meal, catch him in the act, etc.

Well, I went to watch my neices (her two daughters) and I've been enlightened. The dog peed in the house first thing in the morning when I arrived (just after my sister and her husband departed). We didn't catch him, but the younger girl (she's 3) found the puddle. Immediately, my older neice (she is 6) screams "NACHO!" and hussles him toward his crate, scolding him the whole time. The poor dog sulks over to the crate, tail between his legs and head down.

The reason the dog isn't potty trained is because instead of taking him out when they catch him they crate him. Because "he knows he's done wrong". I told her not to put him in the crate. I wasn't going to allow that ridiculous "punishment" while I was there, even if there's nothing I can do when I'm not there.

As if that weren't bad enough, my oldest neice then informed me that "taking him out to go potty" consists of opening the door and then leaving him out on the front porch for an indeterminate amount of time. No supervision. Nothing. Just.. outside.

It's just very frustrating when you're talking to someone, telling them you have to go out with the dog, praise and treat, and take them outside when you catch them only to have the person say "Oh, we do that already".. And then find out that's not what they do at all. It just baffles me as to how "take him outside when you catch him and go out with him and praise him when he goes" translates into "crate him when you catch him or whenever you find the accident and shove him outside and assume he knows why he's outside".

And what's even more frustrating is that my dog was potty trained at 5 months (which isn't at all record time, but still..) and had a refresher course in training when we moved and that took only a few days of really being on her. And yet.. My advice falls on deaf ears.

But, it doesn't surprise me at all, seeing as how these are the same people who attribute Nacho's lack of manners/training to him being too stupid to learn anything. That's weird, because whenever I'm over, the dog learns to sit in three repetitions and suddenly has manner in regards to begging at the dinner table and licking.

Just makes you wonder.. I just had to rant. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Sadly, alot of people barely have a fingernail grip on their own lives and the dogs are left to fend for themselves. The rules and the training are often made up on the fly, is usually inconsistent and often unreasonable.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Worse yet, some of those dogs get house trained in spite of their owners, and those owner then dispense advice on dog training to others. They sound quite authoritative when they do it, too. That's why some training techniques will not die.

·
Registered
350 Posts
It's sad to hear that one's family member lies to another about the well-being of a pet. Hopefully you at least taught your nieces something about training the dog. Or maybe they learned something from watching you. Maybe they can teach your sister a thing or two about training. Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sadly, alot of people barely have a fingernail grip on their own lives and the dogs are left to fend for themselves. The rules and the training are often made up on the fly, is usually inconsistent and often unreasonable.
You hit the nail on the head. It's a very frustrating situation, but one that can't really be remedied because there's no real "wrong doing".

Worse yet, some of those dogs get house trained in spite of their owners, and those owner then dispense advice on dog training to others. They sound quite authoritative when they do it, too.
Very true, even in this case. The irony of the situation is the husband (not sure about my sister) finds Misty annoying because she is active and I don't constantly have her in a "go lay down" state. I'm not sure why it's annoying when a dog is inquisitive yet obedient, but I have the sneaking suspicion it has some ties to the "if a dog does anything you don't like, crate 'im" mentality.

Hopefully you at least taught your nieces something about training the dog. Or maybe they learned something from watching you. Maybe they can teach your sister a thing or two about training.
I always make a point of teaching them how to teach Nacho basic obedience, etc. I have had to educate them on the proper treatment of my own dog at times, because they only know what they see, and what they see is crating and hitting. I've had to catch my neice's hand going for my dog and tell her that I don't hit my dogs. I'm not sure how far it'll go, but all I can do is try to show them the results of respecting and understanding your dog and hope that as they get older they'll get wiser than their parents.

And, yes, it's very sad that she'd lie about it. But I know what it is, and it's nothing to do with dogs.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
This is probably a non-starter, but would you be willing to offer to take the dog to live at your house for a month or two so you can train it? Tell them since they aren't happy with the situation the dog probably isn't happy so maybe it's worth a shot for everybody concerned? They have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Tell them that dogs sometimes learn better by being around other dogs and that maybe their dog will learn how to go potty properly by being around your dog. A load of crap, I know, but they probably won't know that.

If they agree, have your neices come over and help train the dog, too, so when he goes back, he'll have at least some of the family members doing the right thing. Maybe. Sigh...

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Oh my gosh, I know exactly how you feel!

I have given my family advice on the simplest of things and they refuse to even try it.

Then they complain about their dog not doing something that could have easily been trained... I can handle my clients doing that to me, but my own family? Ugh... It's difficult and so frustrating...

Some people like/love dogs on a different level than we do... Some people simplify dogs, and think the only things a dog needs to be happy is a bone, chew toy, and spot on the bed to sleep... Then there are those that complicate the heck out of dogs. I find myself to be in-between... Dogs need the basics to be happy, but to also live comfortably with us I believe they need discipline, self-control, and respect for us. (Even though they may not know what respect is, at least we should train them to do things that makes us feel like we're getting respect.)

My step-mother's Pug puppy is pretty much house-trained right now, but they said they didn't really do it, the puppy follows the other two dogs around and has some how picked it up from them... Which that sounds sweet, cute and really cool... But I still believe they should have taken the time to show the puppy themselves... What happens when those dogs aren't around to show the puppy things?

Anyway, I do feel your frustration... ; )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts