Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my name is Tracy, from Louisiana. Im a new member,(quick history of situation) last week I came across a post about 2 rescued pups the mother had been run over, they werent old enough to be weaned yet.The girl that picked them up didnt want them but didnt want them hit by a car, I took both puppies. I got them home last week. The pups were severly worm infested!! Scaly skin on bellies hair falling out, along with a skin condition of seborhea (severe) I lost one Friday, & cant bear to lose my other. Im treating the scaly skin & seborhea with medicated shampoo and an astringent (a home remedy to help with sever oily seborhea) Moxy (my puppy) his hair isnt falling out as bad, considering what it was its a vast improvement, he still has some scaly spots on his belly Im having to work on (it was as bad as Ive ever seen on a pup) its getting better but gradually. My problem is now, a couple of the scaly spots are close to one eye, he has scratched at it with his paw until he has his little eye swollen shut. Im not sure what to do. Ive researched everything online I could about his skin condition, I have him eating all natruel food, I add a little apple cider vinigar to it, he was just rewormed for his 10 day follow up, he isnt scratching anywhere like he was so I know Im making some headway. Any suggestions would be helpful. Im on a fixed income & vet assistance is pretty much out of the quiestion. Fyi: the worm medicine is seargents puppy wormer, his shampoo is perfect coat medicated from tractor supply. I estimate him to be maybe 5 weeks and he seems to be a dashund mix.

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
Start calling around about low-income assistance for vet care. Maybe a rescue group or the local humane society or even just individual vets that will work on a sliding scale cost.

Puppies need a number of vaccinations for things like parvo (common and deadly), distemper (less common but still deadly) and of course rabies (required by law in the US). If he's scratching badly near his eye, he may need antibiotic ointment to prevent eye infection.

Hair falling out and scaly skin could be mange or simply really poor nutrition or a flea allergy or something else entirely.

I'd suggest at least having him wear a cone when unattanded to prevent him scratching his eyes, that won't fix the root of the problem but it will help prevent him from injuring himself worse and allow the skin to heal some.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Giving my baby away is out of the ?
Will inquire about the assistance, all Ive found to this point is help with spay/neuter
I know when they were picked up they were underweight and flea infested
Ill ck with tractor supply about the ointment thank you
I was advised not to give him his shots until he was cleared of other issues, since he had so many

I understand ppl look dwn on others if they cannot afford a vet, I cant afford a dr 4 myself either but thats my business, releasing an animal to the majority of so called rescues or shelters only brings the animals fate as dim, most likely to be put to sleep, as a society ppl just throw things away to let someone else worry about them if they become sick, I refuse to be one of those ppl. I took every bit of money I had leftover on buying essentials to care for my puppies ..I surely wouldnt want someone to just dump me off on someone else so I wont do that to Moxy.

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
Some vets will do a first wellness check for free. Obviously any treatment has costs associated but it could give you an idea of what problems the dog might have. Once you know what you need and in the exact doses, TSC and such can be a good resource but you cannot just go buy things off the shelf and guess at what is needed without risking the pup's health.

I hate to say it, but dogs are expensive. If you cannot afford a basic vet check and first vaccines, providing decent medical care for a puppy is going to be tough. I'm not saying you should dump the dog at a shelter, but looking into options for rehoming with a responsible rescue may be something to consider.

Heartworm prevention is an absolute must in the majority of the US, the puppy is too young now but that's a future expense.

Just a few things that dogs/puppies can end up needing easily: my current foster pup is being treated for demodex mange, she recently completed 2 courses of antibiotics for preventing skin infection and upper respiratory infection. She got spayed.
Another foster dog needed treatment for a spider bite that abscessed. My dog had surgery for a (luckily benign) tumor-- $700. He had a corneal ulcer from an eye scratch- $200. He tore a nail off near the base - $35
And these are basically healthy dogs....

At the very least, try to set aside a little bit of money each paycheck- even $10- so that you have some reserve for the crap the happens.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Giving my baby away is out of the ?
Will inquire about the assistance, all Ive found to this point is help with spay/neuter
I know when they were picked up they were underweight and flea infested
Ill ck with tractor supply about the ointment thank you
I was advised not to give him his shots until he was cleared of other issues, since he had so many

I understand ppl look dwn on others if they cannot afford a vet, I cant afford a dr 4 myself either but thats my business, releasing an animal to the majority of so called rescues or shelters only brings the animals fate as dim, most likely to be put to sleep, as a society ppl just throw things away to let someone else worry about them if they become sick, I refuse to be one of those ppl. I took every bit of money I had leftover on buying essentials to care for my puppies ..I surely wouldnt want someone to just dump me off on someone else so I wont do that to Moxy.
I'm sorry if you thought my suggestion was looking down on you. It's just my suggestion, and really the reality of the situation. One of the puppies already died and the best way to avoid the same fate is for the other to see a vet. The other pup could have died from a multitude of things, but there is no knowing unless a vet sees him and you said you cannot afford that so another solution has to happen.

I was not under the impression from your first post that you planned on keeping the puppies, so I thought a rescue would be useful. It's not dumping the puppy to find a place that can afford to care for him. If he survives he will only get more expensive as time goes on. I would personally argue that not being able to afford vet care when a dog needs it is more unkind than euthanasia. If it's unlikely you can save to provide like Shell suggested, it would really be better for him to find a rescue or an owner that can.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Um, where are you located? Rescues in the US are a godsend for animals in need, and the future of a dog in rescue is bright, not dim. Seriously, if you can't afford basic care for a puppy, you're going to get the great joy of watching that puppy bleed and puke to death of parvo. That's not responsibility or kindness.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I came on here for advice & you ppl have done nothing but redicule me & dwn me because Im not loaded
I dont think I have ever been a member of a forum where the members were so rude & judgemental towards others
Dont sit there and pretend you are all perfect I assure you none of you are !!!

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
Um, where are you located? Rescues in the US are a godsend for animals in need, and the future of a dog in rescue is bright, not dim. Seriously, if you can't afford basic care for a puppy, you're going to get the great joy of watching that puppy bleed and puke to death of parvo. That's not responsibility or kindness.
Quoted for truth.

You don't need to be 'loaded' to responsibly own a dog, but if you can't do basic medical care - you aren't doing any dog any favors. If we were talking not being able to do emergency surgery, or a hip replacement it's one thing. The very basics are something else, and really, really not optional.

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
I came on here for advice & you ppl have done nothing but redicule me & dwn me because Im not loaded
I dont think I have ever been a member of a forum where the members were so rude & judgemental towards others
No. we're not. I'm certainly not. I'm sorry you feel judged and are angry.

But there are some bare minimum standards that must be met. It's legally animal cruelty not to provide medical care for a sick animal in most areas. You don't have to be able to provide a hip replacement or something, but if an animal is sick they MUST at least be seen by a vet and treated or euthed. Not doing so is neglect and cruelty. Not doing so is below the bare minimum. It needs to be done. It's really... not about having tons of money. It's about having enough to do the very bare minimum. Which involves vaccinations and getting a sick animal to the vet for *basic* treatment or euthanasia.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Loaded? Me?

Look, I've been so poor, eating was not something I did on the regular. I don't hate poor people, heck, I have a hard time not considering myself such anymore.

If you came in here unable to afford $5,000 worth of hip dysplasia surgery, I'd be sympathetic and willing to help. Not being able to afford basic care and then saying that giving the puppy to someone who could provide said care would be cruel is just foolishness.

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
A dachshund mix is a highly adoptable breed in the vast majority of the US. Even at a "kill shelter" a dog like that has a decent chance, at a no-kill shelter a very good chance. Some rescues specialize in medical needs cases, although the dog likely doesn't have any more medical needs than any other neglected unvaccinated puppy (as in, similar to a lot of the puppies that show up in shelters)

There is no shame in not being able to afford the luxury of having a dog; however, to condemn a dog to a possible painful death or on-going illness by refusing to do what is best for the dog is a problem.
Not seeking BASIC medical care for a dog and letting him suffer is wrong. If you cannot afford a vet, consider taking him into a good vet's office and surrendering him to them. Usually they are able to stabilize and give basic vaccinations, skin treatment, worm treatment etc before turning the dog over to a rescue. As a small, desirable breed mix, he truly does have a good chance in "the system"

If you are willing to share what state or metro area you are in, many people here have contacts in rescue or could point you in the right direction. But unfortunately, even if you got one-time help with getting the most immediate health problems treated, unless you can set aside some money, it won't really "solve" anything.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I'm not loaded, my dear. I suppose you should just tell us what you wanted to hear and we can parrot it, because all the options you were given are pretty much.. your options. The puppy's life is in your hands, not mine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts