Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me set the scene...Tigre and I are almost off the Bike Trail; heading home. A mystery man and his two dogs are just getting on the trail. We're walking towards each other.
When Tigre saw them he started pulling pretty hard (he LOVES other dogs) so I told him to sit and wait. We've encountered other dogs before and I always have Tigre sit and wait until the other dogs pass us by.
Anyway, this guy keeps walking towards us and his dogs were barking, foaming at the mouth, growling, and snapping their teeth. He started yelling at me to get away from him. I asked him what he wanted me to do because I felt that if we moved in either direction it would escalate the situation. He started screaming at me...he called me a 'stupid b***h.' My dog is sitting there silently wagging his tail. The man starts calling me every name in the book! By this point I was pretty angry. I told the man he shouldn't be walking his dogs in such a high traffic area if he was going to flip out on everyone they came across. He called me a b***h again, flipped me off, and turned around to walk off the path. :rant:
I'm still pretty fired up about the whole thing. I don't feel like I did anything wrong. But, I thought I would ask anyway...if you were me would you have done something differently??

·
Registered
245 Posts
nope-- maybe said a few choice words to him (like he would listen anyway) but if my Sadie is sitting there on the side of the path not doing anything but being good, it was him that should have moved over some. And like you said, he shouldnt be there with his dogs anyway if he cant control them. some ppl,, I swear.:brick:

·
Registered
77 Posts
If someone started yelling at me that way for no reason other than his OWN arse-hattery, I'm sure I would flip out right back at him. I don't think I could hold my tongue. What a tremendous jerk.

But given the situation, there's really nothing you could do to make it any better except move on. I feel bad for that guy's dogs, having to live with that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whew..thanks for the assurance!! I've never encountered a situation like that so I didn't want to assume I did nothing wrong. What really gets me is that for all he knew I was a just a kid walking my parents dog (granted I live on my own and he's my dog) BUT every new person I meet doesn't believe that I'm over 16yo (I'm 24). I've been turned down from buying wine on several occasions because the attendant thinks my ID is a fake and they tell me there's no way I'm over 18, let alone 21. So, for all he knew I was just a kid...why would anyone speak to another person that way...let alone a kid?!? Argh!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
*rolls eyes*

Last night, I walked by the house at the end of the street. They have a pit bull mix that is fairly dog aggressive. They almost never have it contained. He shot across the street and launched himself at Kabota. I kicked him off, he squealed and ran back home. His owner starts screaming at me for kicking his dog. I scream back that his dog attacked my dog and if he didn't want his dog to get kicked, he needed to keep him on a leash.

Then he tells me I shouldn't walk by his house.

Um, what? I shouldn't walk on a public street that I have every right to be on? Keep in mind, I live on a dead end street. The only way to walk my dog is to go past this house. I don't have a choice, otherwise I probably would avoid his house.

I owned a DA dog. I didn't walk him in popular dog walking spots, I kept him away from other dogs as much as possible and I sure didn't blame other people and their dogs for my dog's problems. People blow my mind.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I owned a DA dog. I didn't walk him in popular dog walking spots, I kept him away from other dogs as much as possible and I sure didn't blame other people and their dogs for my dog's problems. People blow my mind.
Maybe you should do me a favor and give this guy some lessons in being a responsible dog owner! LOL :)

·
Registered
547 Posts
I live in a VERY dog-friendly neighborhood. But we have a few dogs that are so poorly trained, that they are a danger to everyone - dogs and people alike. We have one family that owns an untrained bulldog and untrained boxer. Their owner runs with them daily, but they have been known to attack people and dogs. She's very petite and can't control one of the dogs, let alone both of them at the same time. Its gotten so bad that she's been brought to court by one of the other neighbors (the boxer attacked her yorkie).

The owner, instead of training her dogs, has decided that its fun to terrorize other dogs/people and has taken to walking her dogs where other people walk their dogs instead of walking them in the other direction, towards a park that has acres and acres of room to run and play. She has been warned by the court to keep her dogs away from everyone, but that doesn't seem to matter to her.

I came out of my house the other night with my dog only to be surprised by the woman, standing with both dogs on my neighbors lawn. In just seconds, the boxer was just a foot away from my dog, snarling and foaming at the mouth. You better believe I yelled. I actually screamed at her.

Now, if someone has violent dogs, it would seem to me that they should do the right thing and keep their dogs out of potentially bad scenarios, but people are generally self involved morons who think they're doing no wrong.

·
Registered
482 Posts
You did the right thing, what else were you supposed to do, click your heels together three times and be transported to a different time and place?

One of my dogs can be dog aggressive and so can my neighbor's pit, who I walk sometimes. They like each other ;). The woods where I walk them is not super heavily trafficed, but when I do see someone coming toward us on the path and I have these dogs with me, I shorten the leashes, step off the path and make them sit while the other dog passes. There might be snarling, but they can't get at the other dog. I'm 50 years old and female and I'm strong enough to hold back a 45 pound ACD and a 65 pound pit (plus my 50 pound BC mix, but she's not going to pull to get at the other dogs, she just sits there all nicey nice). If I WEREN'T strong enough, I wouldn't walk them and certainly not together. The temperment of these dogs is my problem, because I'm the one on the other end of the leash, not that of other dog walkers. My dog and the Pit don't hate all other dogs, just some, and I never know which it is until we get close, so I play it safe.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Ugh. It made me livid angry just reading this thread. In the future carry pepper spray with you and if you see that guy again, use it.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Ugh. It made me livid angry just reading this thread. In the future carry pepper spray with you and if you see that guy again, use it.
I'm not a fan of pepper spray. If the wind shift suddenly, you could spray yourself and your dog. Plus, a really determined dog won't be stopped by pepper spray, just additionally pissed off.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I'm not a fan of pepper spray. If the wind shift suddenly, you could spray yourself and your dog. Plus, a really determined dog won't be stopped by pepper spray, just additionally pissed off.
I didn't mean spray the dogs, rather the idiot guy that was cursing at her. But yeah, maybe using a cattle prod on him would be better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts