Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Adventures in DIY toy-making

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  elrohwen 
#1 ·
I've been trying for a while making a rope toy with two Kong balls. Using regular rope (Nylon) was a big bust. Within seconds I could see fibers flying off.

Yesterday I tried combining two toys, taking a rope/floss toy and untying its knots to add two Kong balls.

Well... she loved it! Great tug and fetch and everything. She wanted to keep bringing it back over and over again, until I stopped because she was panting up a storm. Unfortunately, a few well placed bite marks, and she had one end of it disassembled in an hour or so.

I guess I'll keep trying to put one of these together for her, maybe putting it away after a long play session.

See less See more
#2 ·
You need a better knot, dude.

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/climbing-knots.html <-- Try some of these. More secure than your average loop-de-loop and they're not hard to tie once you get the hang of it. The store-bought tugs tend to stay together because they're wound using machinery which can wind the ropes much much MUCH tighter than you, so you'll want to compensate by tying a knot that tightens under pressure (like the figure 8) or another sturdy knot like a bowline.

#3 ·
Yeah, I hear you. BUT, it isn't so much that she untied the knot... she SHREDS it. Just did it to another rope toy she's had for over a month. Kind'a worried here. At almost 7.5 months, I think she's going through a "phase."

#4 ·
Most toys that are good for tugging (letting the dog sink their teeth in) aren't going to last against a chewer. I would put the toy up when you're not actively playing with it.

Consider fleece too. There are a few different ways to braid it and they make good tough tug toys. Again, not something you want to leave with the dog outside of playtime.

#6 · (Edited)
Here's what happens to fleece toys in our house with a moderate chewer (15 lb Havanese as full grown, but a mere puppy here). A fleece ball unraveled within minutes and my son made Rascal a festive fleece skirt of the remains....

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

My son's DIY toy that has been a ton of fun for Rascal (and survives!) is a combo teenage boy sock (knotted and balled up) and a Zogoflex treat toy that is crazy durable. https://www.westpawdesign.com/dogs/dog-toys/zogoflex-dog-toys

Dog Canidae Puppy Dog breed Miniature schnauzer

#7 ·
Here's what happens to fleece toys in our house with a moderate chewer (15 lb Havanese). A fleece ball unraveled within minutes and my son made Rascal a festive fleece skirt of the remains....
Yeah, fleece toys really can't be left out with most dogs. My recommendation was for using it as a DIY tug toy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.