Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm ready to stock up on Flee med for both dogs and I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are on the different options. Is one better than the other? Why is BioSpot so much cheaper??:eek: The prices for Fergus w/ 6 mo. supply are as follows:

Advantix - $85
Advantage - $70
Frontline - $85
BioSpot - $15

I'm curious what everyone else uses.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I prefer Advantix since it cover fleas,ticks and mosquitos.Here we really need the coverage.I have used advantage in the past on our dogs and currently use it on our cats and it works as well as advantix.I never bothered with frontline or biospot.

BTW fosters and smith online has advantix and the others on sale and free shipping :)
http://www.drsfostersmith.com

·
Registered
546 Posts
If you have any cats, don't use Advantix as it contains an ingredient that can cause death in cats. As for Biospot, the reason its so much cheaper is that it is not waterproof. A bath, rain, swimming...any of that will wash it off. Frontline and Advantix are waterproof though.

·
Registered
329 Posts
We have cats in the home and use advantix on our dogs ..We just keep the cats away from the dogs for a few hours after applying.I have never had any issues :)

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
I use Vectra 3D because my dog developed a hot spot from Frontline Plus. Vectra (Rx) is applied in two or three spots on the back. The applicator is good too.. it gets down to the skin well. Vectra repels as well as kills Fleas, ticks and Mostquitoes.

It is poisonous to cats. I apply it in the morning on a work day and crate the dog while I am at work in a separate room anyway. This way the Vectra dissipates and dries before the dog and cats are together. I have been using this product for nearly a year now with no sick cats and no hot spots on my dog.

Vectra is waterproof (or so they say).

Advantage only kills fleas. (Imidacloprid)
Frontline Plus only kills fleas and ticks. (fipronil and S-methoprene.)
Advantix repels Fleas, ticks and mosquitoes and kills fleas, ticks and mosquitoes. (imidacloprid and permethrin
Vectra 3D repels Fleas, ticks and mosquitoes and kills fleas, ticks and mosquitoes (dinotefuran, pyriproxyfen and permethrin). Vectra 3D was re-registered for use in NYS in 2007 as a result of adding the ingredient dinotefuran.

I know nothing of Biospot. It contains Permethrin and S methoprene

I forgot to add this. Products that KILL fleas and ticks do not REPEL same. The tick has to make contact (or flea) with the dog's skin in order to die. Sometimes they have enough time to bite. In the case of ticks, the tick dies before it can transmit Lyme disease (takes 12-24 hours of the tick being attached). That is the theory. I vaccinate my dog for Lyme due to the huge problems we have with it in this area.

·
Super Moderator
11,446 Posts
A dog can have a bad reaction to any flea med, but the reactions to BioSpot ave been more frequent and spectacular. The price is tempting, but I avoid it.

I use Frontline Plus. None of my dogs have had a reaction, but it's always possible.

Once you find something that works and they can tolerate, stick with it.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I use Advantix because it not only kills fleas and ticks but it repels them. Also I used to use Frontline PLUS but it stopped working as in I guess the fleas and ticks in the area built up some resistance? We ended up with a flea infestation and I had to pull 3-4 ticks off of Max's FACE last season. It was gross. I mean I guess Frontline doesn't repel the ticks. But it certainly didn't appear to be killing anything either.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
A dog can have a bad reaction to any flea med, but the reactions to BioSpot ave been more frequent and spectacular. The price is tempting, but I avoid it.
I use Frontline Plus. None of my dogs have had a reaction, but it's always possible.

Once you find something that works and they can tolerate, stick with it.
I fell for the price and my dogs reacted very poorly...almost as if it burned them when applied. I use Frontline in the cooler months since the fleas aren't so bad (or mosquitos) but in summer I bite the bullet and go for Advantix because it repels the skeeters, which is an added benefit for my HW meds.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
We are using advantix this year. We had used frontline in the past but last year it didn't seem to work. We have cats and just keep the dogs away from them for a day or so after putting on the advantix.

Biospot doesn't work well and lots of dogs seem to have bad reactions to it, it also comes off if the dog gets wet.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'm going to use Advantix this year as well. The cats never get close enough to Bayley for it to be a problem. She managed not to get any ticks last summer but who knows about this summer. I also don't always reapply every 30 days, unless she's been in the water alot. I keep a pretty close eye out for creepy crawlies on her. The only thing I'm right on with is her Heartgard.

One thing that's nice about using any of those flea products is I use it on the dog and the cats never have fleas.

Advantix repels mosquitos too? That's a bonus around here!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts