Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently taken in an American Bulldog that someone dumped at The Dog Bar where I live (yes, it's just what it sounds like--a bar where you can take your dog in with you). Had vet checkups immediately (and had him neutered) and he's a happy, healthy guy. Slowly working on introductions with my 2 boxers, an 8 y/o male and 4 y/o female. But that's another story.

The issue that I'm having with the new addition, Haymitch, is his constant need to nip at my hands. He doesn't do this aggressively at all; I've never seen a less aggressive dog in my life. It's more like a nervous tic. He doesn't bite down on my hands, even when he gets ahold of them, but his teeth hitting the top of my hands still hurt like hell, and it's not a habit I want him to have, for obvious reasons. For all intents and purposes, it *looks* like he is "snapping" at you, even though he doesn't chomp down on your or anything like that. Obviously, he does it mostly when he is excited.

This is not a habit/training issue I've ever had before. And he's certainly not proving to be as easily trainable as dogs I've had in the past (mostly boxers). Any good suggestions on how to deal with this? So far I'm not having any luck. The vet says his teeth look like he's around 4 years old, though it's hard to tell for sure, but he really acts a LOT like a puppy, and I'm not sure if he's younger than we think or if he just has no social skills. It appears he was kept in a kennel or crate a lot before, and most likely used as a stud. :-( I guess they dumped him when they were finished with him, or didn't have the money or room to keep him anymore. :-(

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Well after alot of training ( basic commands and leash work, just to get her generally in control) my giant schnauzer girl will now just snap/bite the air a few times when she really excited, so I thats what we ended up with (but she sometimes relapses into the mouthiness)-- I called her Snapping Turtle when she was younger....

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I got Jubel when he was just over two years old and he was really mouthy when we adopted him. Took 6-8 weeks to finally get his mouthing under control, partly because my brother lacked the consistency in training. What we did is essentially The Bite Stops Here training which is a sticky in the training forum.

Anytime he mouthed I'd say Ouch! and turn my back on him ignoring him for about 5 seconds. If he mouthed again I'd say Ouch! again and leave the room (put a door between us) for about 30-60 seconds. After a few interations of 30-60 second separations if he was still mouthy I'd go to my room for about 5-10 minutes and he'd settle down.

They want attention and they are trying to play with you so removing the attention is very powerful deterrent for the unwanted behavior. The more consistent you are the faster he'll learn that mouthing gets him ignored. Make sure he is getting a good amount of physical and mental exercise as well, if he's a ball of pent up energy self control will be harder.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I agree with dagwall. And, it's super important to be consistent and patient. Lots of folks expect it to go faster than it does. And, some people (my husband) just don't want to interrupt their tv watching to get up and leave the room if the puppy keeps biting! :)
But, seriously, you have to respond the same way every time, so there is a lot of consistency.

And, try not to play with him with your hands. In other words, always have a toy in between the dog and you, so that he doesn't try to "play" with your hands.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts