Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
we are getting a puppy in a few weeks and we are trying to figure out what we are going to feed him. he will be 6 weeks old when we get him. it was suggested to me to feed him adult innova dog food since he is a gsd/husky cross and the food would help him grow more slowly and evenly. do you think that feeding adult food to a 6 week old puppy is ok or should i feed puppy food for the first little while and then switch over to the adult food after about a month or so? we decided on innova because evo is too high in protein and the other choices are go!, now!, and nutrience or grocery store brands.

also, we feed iorek raw but i don't want to take the chance of feeding a growing puppy raw (to scary to balance!) but i think that i would like to give him raw snacks every now and then to make sure he grows up eating a little of it. i plan to switch to raw when he is close to a year old. is it ok to give him little bits of raw occasionally? i don't mean that i will feed him his kibble and then give him a piece of meat, i mean i will give him time to digest whatever he gets kibble or raw before he gets something different.

and, will i have to soak his kibble in warm water when i am first feeding it to him? when we had a puppy growing up we did that for the first while.

i am sorry for all the questions! i just never had a puppy this young to raise on my own before :)

thanks for all your help :)

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Six weeks is too young for this puppy to be away from it's mother. Please, leave the puppy with it's mother for an additional month.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I'm so excited for you! Your new pup is adorable. I think any high quality adult dog food would be fine. Just watch the calcium since your pup is a bigger breed though I'm not sure he'll be that big where you would have to really watch the calcium levels but I would anyways just to be safe. :)

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Six weeks is too young for this puppy to be away from it's mother. Please, leave the puppy with it's mother for an additional month.
thank you for your concern. believe me i would rather if he was with his mother and siblings longer too but i don't have a choice. the people want the puppies to go *the second* they are eating on their own. i am lucky that they are going to keep the puppies until 6 weeks. they are already trying to get the puppies to drink on their own. the woman got her shih tzu 4 weeks because it was "eating on it's own" so she thinks it is ok. i live in a town with a population of 1300 and the place we are getting the puppy from is WAY smaller (pop maybe 100) and it is very difficult to change opinions of people from small towns.

I'm so excited for you! Your new pup is adorable. I think any high quality adult dog food would be fine. Just watch the calcium since your pup is a bigger breed though I'm not sure he'll be that big where you would have to really watch the calcium levels but I would anyways just to be safe. :)
thank you :)

i don't really know what you mean by checking the calcium levels. what should they be for a puppy?

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
From what I'm hearing, there is no real need to feed a puppy any sort of puppy food, and I've had several people tell me I'm paying extra $$ for what is unnecessary. Quite a few dog owners I know have never fed puppy food, or feed Canidae All Life Stages, and their dogs are fantastic.

There are special circumstances in this case. At any rate, this puppy will be in good hands. :)

edit: woops, I posted just a bit after you, ioreks_mom!

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are special circumstances in this case. At any rate, this puppy will be in good hands. :)

edit: woops, I posted just a bit after you, ioreks_mom!
thank you :)

i think that i will with the adult food then for sure. thanks for your help :)

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Well for larger breed puppies I believe the calcium level in their foods shouldn't exceed 1.5% but I own a beagle and a chihuahua I could be wrong! Plus I don't think your little guy fits into the giant breed catagory, but I knew a woman who did the calcium thing for her husky. Oh, when we got Hallie we raised her on an adult food rotation with raw snacks like you plan to do with your little guy.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
great! thank you for the information :) i will check out the innova food to see the calcium levels.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
thank you for your concern. believe me i would rather if he was with his mother and siblings longer too but i don't have a choice. the people want the puppies to go *the second* they are eating on their own. i am lucky that they are going to keep the puppies until 6 weeks. they are already trying to get the puppies to drink on their own. the woman got her shih tzu 4 weeks because it was "eating on it's own" so she thinks it is ok. i live in a town with a population of 1300 and the place we are getting the puppy from is WAY smaller (pop maybe 100) and it is very difficult to change opinions of people from small towns.
I'm not going to give you a hard time but can I ask why you're buying a dog from this type of person? It sounds like you know what *should* be done and they aren't doing it.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not going to give you a hard time but can I ask why you're buying a dog from this type of person? It sounds like you know what *should* be done and they aren't doing it.
i am getting a dog from these people because it was an "oops" litter and they really do mean well. it is just that the ideas about dogs around here are very old fashioned. the girl is getting the mommy spayed as soon as the puppies are gone and she is able to be spayed. the father was running loose and that is how it happened. they are genuinely nice people, it is just the ideas that are bad. also, they have the idea that the spca is a bad place where the dogs are kept in cages all the time (REALLY old fashioned thinking here) and they said that they would rather do something else than bring the pups there - i wasn't told any details but it is not good from what i imagine. i would rather save a pup than have something bad happen to it. this is not something that this family does, they are not breeders, it was a mistake.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
He should be fine on either the puppy or adult. I like Innova's puppy formula a bit better as it has more protein.
i thought that higher protein is not good for puppies? i don't know what i thought i knew. haha! this is all new to me! when i got iorek i thought that the higher the protein the better since i had done all the research for cats and ferrets and then i find out that lower protein is better for a dog. i just don't know! after we started feeding iorek raw i didn't do anymore research into kibble for dogs. i am just too afraid to feed raw to a growing puppy. i really appreciate all the help i can get about this.

I would definitely NOT feed regular puppy food in this instance. I suggest large breed puppy food. The brands that would be my choice are Innova and Eagle Pack Holistic. Here are those specific varieties:

http://www.innovapet.com/product_line.asp?id=1259

http://www.holisticselect.com/HS_LGPuppy.html
thank you. i can't get eagle pack in newfoundland. or at least not in a store that i could find. the store that i am ordering from is in st. john's, a 7 hour drive from me. i am getting them to put it on the bus and then i have to drive 45 minutes each way to pick it up from where the bus drops it off. that store carries: innova, evo, california naturals (all the same company), before grains, horizon legacy, and fromm. the store in my home town (which is 2 1/2 hours from where i live now) carries go!, now!, nutrience, and science diet. these are my only options. i am ordering cat and ferret food from the store in st. john's so i figured it would be easier to get the dog food from there too. i can't order evo (what my cats and ferrets eat) online because the website said they cannot ship between provinces. it is all VERY complicated when you live in a tiny community that is only connected to the main highway by a little road that is 62 km's long! but, i LOVE it here :D

this is the innova large breed adult food analysis:

Moisture 7.5 %
Protein 25.85 %
Fat 14.21 %
Linoleic Acid 2.65 %
Omega 3 0.63 %
Arachidonic Acid 0.09 %
Carbohydrates 45.33 %
Fiber 2.93 %
Ash 4.79 %
Calcium 0.9 %
Phosphorous 0.7 %
Magnesium 0.11 %
Sodium 0.13 %
Potassium 0.66 %
Chloride 0.25 %
Iron 114.11 mg/kg
Zinc 192.2 mg/kg
Copper 13.79 mg/kg
Iodine 2.78 mg/kg
Manganese 26.28 mg/kg
Selenium 0.4 mg/kg
Arginine 1.81 %
Histidine 0.49 %
Isoleucine 1.04 %
Leucine 1.77 %
Lysine 1.62 %
Methionine 0.58 %
Met-Cysteine 0.87 %
Phenylalanine 1.06 %
Phe-Tyrosine 1.8 %
Threonine 0.99 %
Tryptophan 0.27 %
Valine 1.23 %
Taurine 827.22 mg/kg
Choline 1557.14 mg/kg
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 4.49 mg/kg
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 5.8 mg/kg
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 50.52 mg/kg
Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine) 5.78 mg/kg
Folic Acid 0.77 mg/kg
Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid) 21.19 mg/kg
Biotin 0.11 mg/kg
Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin) 70 ug/kg
Vitamin A 23093 IU/kg
Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) 501.13 mg/kg
Vitamin D 2231.45 IU/kg
Vitamin E 300.67 IU/kg
Vitamin K 239.14 ug/kg
Glucosamine 694.95 mg/kg
Chondroitin Sulfate 567.93 0
Calculated Calorie Content* 3699.11 kcal/kg

this is the large breed puppy formula:

Moisture 7.5 %
Protein 24.48 %
Fat 12.2 %
Linoleic Acid 2.55 %
Omega 3 0.54 %
Arachidonic Acid 0.08 %
Carbohydrates 48.31 %
Fiber 2.47 %
Ash 5.45 %
Calcium 0.9 %
Phosphorous 0.72 %
Magnesium 0.1 %
Sodium 0.3 %
Potassium 0.9 %
Chloride 0.57 %
Iron 105.44 mg/kg
Zinc 183.61 mg/kg
Copper 13.43 mg/kg
Iodine 2.64 mg/kg
Manganese 25.47 mg/kg
Selenium 0.48 mg/kg
Arginine 1.66 %
Histidine 0.53 %
Isoleucine 0.95 %
Leucine 0.68 %
Lysine 1.45 %
Methionine 0.55 %
Met-Cysteine 0.85 %
Phenylalanine 1.02 %
Phe-Tyrosine 1.7 %
Threonine 0.92 %
Tryptophan 0.26 %
Valine 1.15 %
Taurine 857.3 mg/kg
Choline 1578.76 mg/kg
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 4.11 mg/kg
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 5.95 mg/kg
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 46.79 mg/kg
Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine) 5.4 mg/kg
Folic Acid 0.76 mg/kg
Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid) 20.08 mg/kg
Biotin 0.11 mg/kg
Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin) 70 ug/kg
Vitamin A 22634,97 IU/kg
Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) 525.64 mg/kg
Vitamin D 2169.46 IU/kg
Vitamin E 350.43 IU/kg
Vitamin K 336.4 ug/kg
Calculated Calorie Content* 3577.51 kcal/kg

what do you think? they have the same calcium but the adult has a little more protein.

·
Banned
1,934 Posts
The adult formula also has more fat. I would stick with the puppy version because I'm sure they have reasons for the different levels.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i found this on this website

The most significant problems appear to be related to the following, in order of decreasing importance: 1. Calcium, 2. Energy, and 3. Protein .

1. Calcium: The ideal calcium content, on a dry weight basis is 0.7%-1.2%-. AAFCO recommendation is 1%-2.5% which is generally acceptable though not ideal; however, for giant breeds, such as the Great Dane, the lower end of this range is especially recommended. It is believed that calcium in excess of 3% on a dry weight basis can predispose to significant skeletal abnormalities, such as those mentioned above. Keep in mind, also, that adding of vitamins, particularly Vitamin D, will also increase absorption of dietary calcium (to possibly excessive levels).

2. Energy: If too many calories are supplied and consumed on a daily basis, too rapid growth results and the excess mass that must be supported on an immature skeleton can result in microscopic damage to skeletal tissue, with subsequent malformation and/or malarticulation of joints, degenerative changes and potentially chronic pain. For most practical purposes, energy levels in food can be extrapolated principally from dietary fat, which should be no less than 9% (AAFCO recommendation) to maximum of 12% on a dry weight basis. Total kcal/kg of food should remain in the 3.2 to 3.8 range

3. Protein: As a percent of diet on a dry weight basis should range between 15%- 27% (AAFCO recommends minumum of 22%). The ideal protein concentration is difficult to specify, since it is, in part dependent upon biological value of the protein source; (i.e. if of high biological value, then less is needed {more is assimilated} and the lower end of the range is desired). Protein markedly above the upper limit described here will be converted to energy, rather then incorporated into protein tissue. This will, therefore, add to the energy burden, and potentiate the problems associated with excess energy consumption, as described above
this is based on a large breed puppy. i guess the fat is too high in the large breed adult food.

·
Registered
193 Posts
i thought that higher protein is not good for puppies? i don't know what i thought i knew. haha! this is all new to me! when i got iorek i thought that the higher the protein the better since i had done all the research for cats and ferrets and then i find out that lower protein is better for a dog. i just don't know! after we started feeding iorek raw i didn't do anymore research into kibble for dogs. i am just too afraid to feed raw to a growing puppy. i really appreciate all the help i can get about this.
The 28% protein in the puppy formula won't be too high IMO. Some studies indicate that feeding large and giant breed puppies a lower protein/fat diet may reduce the incidence of bone and join problems, but I IMO I still think the bone problems are mainly genetic. Innova's Large Breed foods are still good formulas, or if you want to feed him the regular, either adult or puppy, that will be fine too. Whatever makes you most comfortable. :) Innova is a nice company.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
i am getting a dog from these people because it was an "oops" litter and they really do mean well. it is just that the ideas about dogs around here are very old fashioned. the girl is getting the mommy spayed as soon as the puppies are gone and she is able to be spayed. the father was running loose and that is how it happened. they are genuinely nice people, it is just the ideas that are bad. also, they have the idea that the spca is a bad place where the dogs are kept in cages all the time (REALLY old fashioned thinking here) and they said that they would rather do something else than bring the pups there - i wasn't told any details but it is not good from what i imagine. i would rather save a pup than have something bad happen to it. this is not something that this family does, they are not breeders, it was a mistake.
Thanks for being honest...I'm glad the dog is getting spayed, I just wish they'd keep the puppies a couple weeks longer. Good luck with the puppy!

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i just found out today that they are de-worming the pups. they went to the vet and got the de-wormer but they are not vaccinating them. the girl wants to do the best she can for the pups, her mom is the one who has the outdated ideas. unfortunately, her mom has the final say :(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts