Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Hopefully I can get the details in order. To make part of the story short. We had two dogs. Maxx our LH Chihuahua passed in May for heart failure at 11 yrs old. Was not a good time in our lives and still isn't. We still have Fredo who is a mixed Cocker and is 17yrs old and still doing good.

About a week after Maxx's passing, the last thing we wanted to do at the moment is get another dog. Well we were out on the town and came acrossed a city sponsored adoptathon.

Ended up leave fostering a 2 1/2 yr old Chihuahua/minipincsher. He has been in the system about 2 months. He does have issues but none worth returning him over in my opinion.

Anxiety is one of them. he has calmed down quite a bit since we got him. He is sweet loving, cuddling lap dog or if were in the room he is fine in his bed or just fooling around. Likes to play outside, go for walks and in some ways is well behaved.

His potty habits are unreliable and his signals stink. he loves to be up on thebed withus whenwe watch tv and stuff. If he jumps off, this is a sign and we take him out.

Most dogs whenever they go out, they go pee or at least lift their leg and fake it. Not this guy. He just sits their wondering why he is outside. Then we screw around for a while and get lucky.

We kennel him in the kitchen area and the dog is around to keep him company only when we leave the house or unless he needs a time out.

He has been peeing in the kennel and I alwys thought dogs would not do this. Even when we trained Maxx from a pup, he never pissed where he slept.

We have no idea how he was raised and have basically started over with some sort of system. He has grabbed some clothes off the chairs, wadded them up and lays on them when we're gone upstairs for a few minutes.

Overall I give him a B- but he's got some issues but he is so sweet most of the time, Not much or a barker either but does let us know when someone is around

Any ideas on the potty retraining?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
No experience with this, but after reading your post, 2 things come to mind. 1) Anxiety peeing. 2) Maybe didn't develop an aversion to peeing in his space as a puppy.

I'm thinking its anxiety, simply because he is giving you signals that he needs to go when he's not crated and because he is showing some signs of separation anxiety whenever you leave the room.

When you take him outside, I would stay outside until he makes an attempt to pee and then treat like crazy and make him proud. (I would also assign a word/command, to pottying, so he knows what's expected when he goes outside).

As for the anxiety theory. you mentioned he is crated when you're gone and during a time-out. This may be a little too much for him right now, given he is still fairly new to his environment, schedule and has anxiety issues. I would work on making his crate experience as positive as you can. You can help desensitizing his crate time, by staying nearby, giving him a special 'crate' treat, such as a kong stuffed with Peanut Butter, or frozen canned food whenever he is in the crate. Slowly work your way up to leaving him in there alone. It would also help to visit your vet to discuss the issue. They may want to do a urinalysis, or offer an anti-anxiety med and provide some resources to reduce his anxiety.
What type of time-outs warrant crate time? (just curious)

If he has never developed an aversion to peeing in his space, you may need to start potty training from square one; as if he were an 8 week old puppy.

·
Registered
703 Posts
God bless you for taking in this dog :)

Have you been to the vet?

I agree with 3 above, you might need to start from square 1.

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeh we pretty much have been starting over. We have offsett work schedules so he may be only in a kennel 5 hrs a day. I like the idea of giving him a treat whenhe goes into the kennel. I may be making it sound like his potty habits a very bad but reallyis the opposite. He does very well but the signals are rough. I wish they were "ruff" lol but nothing.

He does go outside 99% of the time and has not messed in the house in weeks. A few times a week he will go out and pee or poop right away but most of the time he is clueless as why he is outside. Now if I say the hell with it and take for a walk, I get both out of him everytime. Maybe this is the way he was prior trained.

Ol fredo has the run of the house. Ricky here has the kitchen, laundry, dining area (no carpet). In the even when we go upstairs watching tv, we have both on the bed and he sleeps with us on his own pillow. Now if he jumps off the bed for no apparent reason, this is the only clear signal we have. Of course this has to be after lights out and we're trying to sleep.

Anyway he's doing okay as long as we keep on top of it all but I do like the treat in the kennel which makes it seemlike he is not being bad for putting himin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts