Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister brought her 10 week old SCWT puppy home this weekend. It is so cute I can barely stand it. My 75lb mutt apparently thinks so too. He's very interested in the puppy, and chases it when it runs. The problem is, he's HUGE and he's far too rough with the puppy. I've been keeping him on a leash so I can put a stop to things when he gets too rough, but any ideas on how to convince him to be more gentle? The pup and my parent's 2 year old SCWT play very nicely together.

Also, when he first met the puppy and again this morning he made a very bizarre noise - it was like his teeth were chattering. He wasn't snapping, and his body language didn't seem aggressive to me, but what the heck is that all about?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Right now (and I know this seems like the most obvious answer :p) the best thing to do would be to separate them. We have a similar problem here, with our two pound pom and sixty pound lab/GSD. If they start to roughhouse, we find it best to confine the puppy in a play pen where she can't get at him. I'd also suggest teaching the older dog to sit and stay when he gets the urge to play...

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
when Hawk is around small dogs and he overwhelms them he is only allowed to interact with them if he is laying down. if he refuses to lay down he's not allowed near the dog

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
It's imperative that you protect the puppy. I would use a crate for the puppy and a leash on the large dog when the puppy is vulnerable. Sometimes a puppy and adult of the same breed have a better idea about getting along.

The bizarre noise (teeth chattering) is probably excitement. :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
For some reason, I always thought stud dogs did the teeth chattering thing when around bitches in heat.

I don't know where I got that from. I think maybe my mom explained it to me.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Just wondering if the puppy lets out an occasional yelp, or scream, high pitch, this is a warning that hurts. If not what looks like rough housing may not be that serious to the dogs.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
The chattering is excitement. Males do do it when around a female in heat, but dogs also just do it when extremely excited.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The puppy tries to play - it swats his face and then takes off. But when he chases it he ends up trampling it and it yelps. When he mouths the puppy he doesn't seem to be causing it any pain and in fact seems to be using his head more than his teeth. But at any rate, he's a behemoth and he's going to have to be leashed to me all weekend. I might try gating one of them in the kitchen for separation but Rufus is known to jump the gate.

I agree - the teeth chattering must be related to excitement somehow, but it is a WEIRD sound!

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
For some reason, I always thought stud dogs did the teeth chattering thing when around bitches in heat.

I don't know where I got that from. I think maybe my mom explained it to me.

LOL teeth chattering can happen any time a dog is excited, my Dobe girl does it during play.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts