Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question that may fall into this category. I have a 9 year old whippet. He is an ex-competition dog. Here is my issue. He, Andrew, is potty trained. He has never gone potty in our house for the past 5 years we have had him. Lately, when we take him to other peoples homes, he has started to go potty in their homes. Number one or two. I notice more at homes in which there are other animals living there. It has rarely occured in homes without animals. This is a fairly new thing that has started in the last 5 months. Why is this happening, and what can I do to stop this behavior, or action? Also, what do I do right after this has happened? He usually is pretty stealth about it, and he has done it before anyone notices. :confused: I don't want to take him out with us now, for fear he is going to go potty in their homes.......I always make him go potty, both 1 and 2 upon arriving at the home of our friends. He does go on command. Any suggestions for why he is doing this, and how we can prevent this from occuring?
Thanks.....
Angie

·
Registered
193 Posts
Maybe he is reacting to where their animals may have pottied in the past. That smell can stay there a long time - and lots of dogs will feel the need to mark over the top of that smell.

I would say to keep making sure he has just went potty before going into other homes - and don't let him out of your sight while you are there. If you are there more than an hour or so, take him outside to let him do his thing just as you would if you were home.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yeah, most likely he is marking that place as his territory. The best thing to do is keep making him potty before you go inside and keep a close eye on him. If he starts circling or sniffing too much take him outside. If you catch him going just take him outside and wait for him to finish his buisiness and reward him. If you don't catch him just clean it up without him seeing you do it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.....Why do we clean it up without him seeing? And I do think he is marking his territory, although one house he did it in was brand new. He will never go in front of me, so I will keep him insight...

·
Banned
84 Posts
a.haris said:
Thanks.....Why do we clean it up without him seeing? And I do think he is marking his territory, although one house he did it in was brand new. He will never go in front of me, so I will keep him insight...[/QUOT

good idea!

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
When your dog marks, this is simply your dog answering the call of nature. A dog urinates because of some external or internal stimulus, like the smell of another dog's pee, or an increased level of testosterone. Marking is actually the wrong word...marking infers that there is an intent, when there is no intent in a dog that pees outside the home, he is just stimulated to do so. If it were a territorial thing, why would the alpha dog allow others in his pack to pee on the same tree he just previously pee'd on? He wouldn't, he'd kill the other dog that pee'd on his tree. But that simply just does not happen with communal dogs, they never kill each other over where they pee. The belief that it's a territorial thing, comes from a lack of information that even I am sometimes guilty of. But all the research I've done points to the fact that it's not a territorial trait. As for your dog, I think it's a good idea to make sure he eliminates outside first and keep an eye on him at all times, like others have suggested. Of course this all assumes that you are keeping up your responsibility as a dog owner (exercise, discipline, then affection...in that order).

·
Banned
84 Posts
a.haris said:
I have a question that may fall into this category. I have a 9 year old whippet. He is an ex-competition dog. Here is my issue. He, Andrew, is potty trained. He has never gone potty in our house for the past 5 years we have had him. Lately, when we take him to other peoples homes, he has started to go potty in their homes. Number one or two. I notice more at homes in which there are other animals living there. It has rarely occured in homes without animals. This is a fairly new thing that has started in the last 5 months. Why is this happening, and what can I do to stop this behavior, or action? Also, what do I do right after this has happened? He usually is pretty stealth about it, and he has done it before anyone notices. :confused: I don't want to take him out with us now, for fear he is going to go potty in their homes.......I always make him go potty, both 1 and 2 upon arriving at the home of our friends. He does go on command. Any suggestions for why he is doing this, and how we can prevent this from occuring?
Thanks.....
Angie
all hes doing is marking its going to happen

·
Banned
84 Posts
a.haris said:
Thanks.....
Angie

lol its a new enviorment hes marking thats all .... to fix it is to watch him all the time.... correct as needed..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts