Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking care of an elderly beagle and golden retriever, this post is about the beagle.

Thursday night, about 10pm I came home to discover that the beagle had eaten a copius amount of chocolate. I took her to the emergency vet and had vomiting induced, all seemed well.

Fast forward to Sat Morning, 4am. Woke up to find the beagle had soiled her bed. (Small amount of diarrhea)
--I put her outside and she immediately defecated. It was an hour or 2 from breakfast so I sent the dogs back to bed, the beagle settled in her makeshift bed but continued to groan and look at me, this one way she tells me it's breakfast time, so I fed them about half an hour or so early and she seems content now.

The golden retriever didn't ingest near as much chocolate according to the vet (both were treated as a precaution) and he is perfectly fine.

Beagle summary:
-ate chocolate about 35-32 hours ago
-stomach evacuated about 30 hours ago
-possible latent symptoms 1 hour ago?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I would guess that she just had a leftover tummy ache from the chocolate. I'm sure she absorbed some before she vomited it. But I'd call the vet just to ask if her discomfort is normal.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I agree that calling the vet to be sure would be a good idea. That being said, depending on what they used to induce vomiting, that alone can cause discomfort. At my clinic we use apomorphine which goes in the eye and is flushed out, but they can feel pretty gross for quite a while after...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree that calling the vet to be sure would be a good idea. That being said, depending on what they used to induce vomiting, that alone can cause discomfort. At my clinic we use apomorphine which goes in the eye and is flushed out, but they can feel pretty gross for quite a while after...
She's just fine now. Thanks.

They used apomorphine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts