Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 4 yr old spayed female Chihuahua. We got her about 6 months ago, and have had no problems until now. She has popped inside the house 5 times now. The first time, we were home, in the office, and she went into the bathroom. She gave us no indication that she had to go out, and it hadn't been that long since she had been out. She went twice while we were out, but again we haven't been gone that long. Then this morning at 6am, she woke me up to go out (she sleeps in bed with me), and I set her on the floor, and woke my husband up to let her out, and in just those 2 mins, she went in the bathroom and popped before he got her outside. So its not like she just ate and had to poop. She slept all night.

She is on Science Diet food now, and I had mixed it with her old for several weeks. But she's been on Science Diet before. She did get her yearly shots about 2months ago, and I noticed the following few days that she would wake me up in the middle of the night to drink a lot of water, and she started hacking a lot, but that has subsided. But this popping inside is new. Could it be a physical problem, like she can't hold it in? The poop looks solid, not runny like diarrhea. Or some behavioral issue? Nothing in our family or routine has changed. My husband and child are home most of the time, so she's not alone a lot.

I will take her to the vet next week, after I get paid, but looking for some ideas on what could be causing it.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I'm voting for the Science Diet. I would switch her back off it. Science Diet is not a high quality food. You can get much higher quality foods for around the same price. Check out dogfoodadvisor.com.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm voting for the Science Diet. I would switch her back off it. Science Diet is not a high quality food. You can get much higher quality foods for around the same price. Check out dogfoodadvisor.com.
thanks! I love that website -I learned a lot! I will change her food to see if that helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts