Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long way around to a question but... first some background.

The first of May we 'adopted' Dru our Son's 15 month old Akita.
His work schedule and living arrangements meant Dru spent WAY too much time crated or at day care.
Not enough exercise and this lead to some destructive habits.
He is though extremely well socialized, human (female), cats and canine, and a hit everywhere he goes.
Not well lead trained, we have taken care of that issue, and a healthy dose of Akita stubborn.....lol!

Our Son lives 1000 miles away and so 'visits' were not much of an issue. We thought.
After 3 days of not eating, a few nights howling at the moon and a bit of destructive behavior when Mat left him Dru has settled in well w/ my Partner and I.
She is Dru's main focus, they walk a few miles every day and weekends we do 4 or 5 hours hiking the local parks.
We, Dru and I, do breakfast and a short yard romp every morning before I head to work.
And finally after 3 months he is waiting for me at the door after work.
He's packed on 12 pounds of muscle and still growing like a weed.
Day Care owner and staff, he goes once or twice a week, have noticed a marked improvement in his attitude in the almost 3 months we have had him.
He was skittish around men, we think my Son's roommate terrorized him, and now while still guarded is no longer aggressive.
He is also no longer shy around the men at the day care.

The question (finally) is this.
Last Saturday our Son, his former owner, was in town for a Friend's wedding and on Sunday a Family gathering.
He deliberately didn't stop by the house as we felt it was too soon after the adoption.
We left Dru at Day Care Sunday, he still has a few separation anxiety issues, when we went to the gathering.

Labor Day weekend we have a reunion and our Son will be there.
Is this too soon to bring them back together?
We have rescued 5 dogs over the years.
At no point was the former owner ever in the picture so we have no points of reference.

How soon can we get the two of them back together w/o damaging all the progress we have made in his training, bonding, attitude, etc.?

For the record our Son knows Dru is in a better environment and is VERY happy he's settling in. And yes it did break his heart to have to give him up.........

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I fostered a dog who was then adopted by a woman I knew casually. The dog was a neurotic little thing and I began fostering her when she was 4 weeks old. Shortly after the adoption, the woman and I became close friends. When I would visit, it really didn't bother my former foster that much. In fact, she started to growl and bite at me at one point. (This has since been solved!)

I don't think it matters if your son visits as long as all of you keep it sorta low key and don't make a big deal out of it. Seeing him will be part of your dog's life. Don't stress about it, don't make it a dramatic scene. I wouldn't have your son take Dru on special walks or sleep with him, but just having him around should be just fine. Even if Dru regresses a little when your son leaves, I would just ignore it and move on.

Really, the best way to help our dog's not have strong reactions is to stay casual and calm ourselves.

·
Registered
41 Posts
3mts is long enough for him to see the dog again. I wouldn't worry about it (as it will be even longer than that). I run into fosters now and then, and have run into them quicker than that and it was fine. By 3 months I can even dog-sit for a weekend or a week and it's still good.

Way to go with this pup though, you sure are giving him a great life :) And giving the pup confidence to be social and happy in new situations and with men is awesome :)

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Dogs are very situational. seeing your son in his new environment probably won't have any effect on the dog at all.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I've had Sydney for 3 years now and she still goes bonkers every time she sees my dad, who she grew up with. That said, I think you should go ahead and let them see each other. You're going to have to some time and it's good for the dog to get used to it being no big deal when your son comes over.

·
Super Moderator
11,734 Posts
My beloved Irish setter, who moved to Wisconsin with me from California, lived with my parents for the last year of her life. (Long story, and maybe not relevant here.) At first, she would scale the six-foot fence and start the fifty mile hike back to my house. Someone would pick her up and call me, since she still had her old tags.

After a few weeks, though, she figured out that living with a couple of retired dog lovers was a pretty sweet gig. When I'd visit, she was thrilled to see me, and we'd go for walks and catch up. When it was time for me to leave, though, she showed no interest at all in leaving with me.

The petty part of me was sad that she could move on so quickly. The more noble part of me was happy for her and for my parents who adored her.

Despite their famous loyalty, dogs are opportunistic. They know a better deal when they see it and adapt quickly to it. I see no harm in having your son and dog see each other. I predict the dog will say, "Hey, good to see ya! Thanks for dropping by. Don't be a stranger. Gimme a call the next time you're in town and we'll grab lunch."

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input! LOVE this Group!
As I stated this is uncharted territory for us and it's great to have informed people weighing in.
At least we didn't have to teach him a new name, though he is now Dru not Drudwyn, figure out his taste in toys or switch foods. ;-)

I figure/hope it will be a bigger deal on our end than Dru's.
Plus this reunion will take place on neutral territory.
Though the first time we met him, at last year's reunion, it was also here.
I know over -thinking...... lol!

Here's a second day shot followed by some from last month.
Now that he has a yard of his own, w/ basically unlimited access, he has gained a LOT of confidence.
And after dropping 5 pounds the first weeks he has gained that back and added 7 more.
He is now at a solid 92 pounds.

Well he's here w/ his lead, Gentle Leader, and stuffed squeaky llama in mouth so....
Off to go hiking!

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts