Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm adopting a dog from the shelter, and she has been diagnosed with Kennel Cough. They said she just started taking meds for it, and that I should wait about 10 days to make sure she is better before bringing her home near my other dog. The problem is, I don't think it is even possible for a dog to get rid of kennel cough in an overcrowded shelter like this one (The NYC ACC.) So I was thinking of taking her home, and keeping her quarantined from my other dog. My question is, how far apart do they have to be? I only have a 1 bedroom apartment, so it will be tough to keep them too far apart. I can keep her in her crate in a corner with a "barrier" a few feet around her. Would that be good enough to keep my other dog safe from getting the KC? I also have a garage that I could put her in, but I'd rather not do that, as it is a 2 car garage that I share with another person.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Kennel Cough is contagious for months. It is viral.

I adopted a dog with severe Kennel Cough 4 months ago ... and all my other dogs caught it. They were all on antibiotics to keep it from turning into pneumonia. They all recovered fine.

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/kennel-cough-in-dogs

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kennel Cough is contagious for months. It is viral.

I adopted a dog with severe Kennel Cough 4 months ago ... and all my other dogs caught it. They were all on antibiotics to keep it from turning into pneumonia. They all recovered fine.

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/kennel-cough-in-dogs
So are you saying to not even worry too much about it, and just get antibiotics for my other dog?

·
Registered
11,348 Posts
The antibiotics don't cure the kennel cough, which is similar to the human flu. You don't need antibiotics for your other dog unless he shows symptoms.

I took in a foster with kennel cough. I had my dog re-vaccinated for it a few days before getting her at it had been over 6 months since his last bordetella shot. Like the human flu vaccine though, it doesn't cover all "strains" of kc and isn't 100% effective BUT does provide some protection and seem to reduce the severity of it if caught.

I kept the dog in a separate room in my house, I took her out to potty separately, I washed my hands between the dogs, they didn't share any water bowls etc, I cleaned the hard surface floors daily with a steam mop. She took about 1 week to quit coughing and I kept them separate a few days after that. She was on antibiotics to prevent pneumonia, but it doesn't cure kennel cough or shorten its timeframe.

My dog did not catch kennel cough.

Do you have any friends that don't have dogs that would be willing to "foster" her for about 3 weeks?

Otherwise, just keep every thing as clean as possible and do what you can. Kennel cough in a healthy, vaccinated dog is generally mild.

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
As shell said.... Kennel Cough is viral. And the vaccines do not cover but a small percentage of the strains. And once a dog has a certain strain, they cannot get that strain again. I don't worry about kennel cough too much.

But what seems to happen in a shelter situation, is that one strain goes through the dogs get it, then another strain comes along, dogs get that.

Also as Shell said... Kennel Cough is no more than a minor annoyance to a healthy dog with a normal immune system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts