Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! So tomorrow is a very exciting day for me, as I will be adopting a 7 month old lab mix. From visiting with this dog and hearing from the adoption staff, this dog has a great temperament and is very trainable. He is also already house trained. I have a question though about leaving the dog when at work.

During the week the dog will probably be alone from 6-8 hours. My original plan was to gate him off in the kitchen(about 8 feet deep, 4 feet wide) with water dish, toys, and his crate open in the back for him. However, now I m considering just putting him in his crate for the day. Which would be best and why? How long can a dog stay crated? I appreciate your help. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
8 hours can be a little lengthy when it comes to crating -but many many dogs are crated for that long and do just fine. So while I wouldn't necessarily say it's ideal, I don't think it's too big a problem either. I would likely have a 'trial day' to see how your dog does with it and go from there.

Out of curiosity though, why did you decide against gating?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
If he is already potty trained, then I would let him be out, gated in the kitchen. If it were you, which would you prefer? Being in a tiny box for 8 hours, or having the option to be in the tiny box, or out playing with your toys?

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
On the note of potty training, do keep in mind that trained in the old house doesn't always = trained in the new house. Dogs sometimes need a refresher when they enter a new environment.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I may try both and see which works better. I guess if he shows me that he is potty trained still then there is no reason to crate him. I decided against gating because I read things that said if a dog is crated they usually won't go to the bathroom, but if they are gated and have too much space they will.

I'll just wait to see how he does in his new environment and make a decision based on that. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I would definitely go with Dakota Spirit's advice. My personal advice to anybody considering a pup or dog purchase is buy crate first, Oh and a Martingale collar.

·
Registered
487 Posts
If he is already potty trained, then I would let him be out, gated in the kitchen. If it were you, which would you prefer? Being in a tiny box for 8 hours, or having the option to be in the tiny box, or out playing with your toys?
Agree 100%. When I got my first dog two months ago, I started with the assumption that she'll have every problem and I need to take every preventive measure: crating when I'm not home, hiding all electrical cords, putting anti-chew stuff on all cords, hiding all trash cans, etc. My neighbor said I was wasting a lot of time and money and I should just spend the first few days with her and closely observe her behavior to see whether any problems emerge and just deal with the problems. It turned out that NONE of this preventive stuff was necessary, as Chance does not have any of these behavior problems. Why start off by restricting her freedom substantially for a problem she probably doesn't even have since she's house trained and not an extremely young puppy?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts