Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Should I give this senior dog a try? (if it is still available)

• Yes!

Votes: 35 97.2%
  • No!

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at the local animal shelters website and came across a male black&white Japanese Chin that was 8 years old. I originally wanted a Papillon, but that hasn't been working out, so I was thinking of maybe trying out a different breed. Though, I wanted my first dog to be one I could have for a long time and during my search on the average lifespan for a Japanese Chin I've read that they live to be up to 10 years and other places say from 12-14 years. Do you think it would be a smart idea to look into adopting this dog? I don't want to get this dog and soon after deal with a lose of a pet if it really will only live up to 10 years, 12-14 I think I could live with though... I plan to feed it Wellness or Taste of the Wild, if that helps. :] Older dogs seem to have a harder time being adopted so I hope I'll have enough time to come up with a decision.

·
Super Moderator
11,476 Posts
One of the best dogs I've ever known was one I adopted at about nine years of age.

Adopting an older dog, or a dog with special needs, is good for your karma.

Smaller breeds do tend to live longer but, even if you only have the dog for a few years, what a difference those few years can make to you and to the dog.

You can have a dog for 16 years and it still isn't nearly long-enough.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We adopted an 11 year old keeshond a year ago.

The best thing we have done in a long time.She settled right in and it is as though we have had her forever!!

I'ld go for it.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I think you should go for it.You could give the old guy a chance at spending the last years of his life in a happy loving home. You never know.. he may be the exception to the rule and live a long life. But like ron said.. he could live 20 years and it wouldn't be long enough. I say go get him and love him like theres no tommorrow. Good Luck.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I know someone that adopted a 14 year old yorkie and that dog ended up living to be in her twenties! She thought she'd have her for the last year or two of her life and ended up having her almost 8 years! You just never know so I wouldn't let that scare you away. I'd go meet him and see what comes of it.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I think it would be so wonderful for the dog to be able to live out his remaining time in a loving, caring home! And rewarding for you as well.
Then again, I know how hard it is to lose a dear one.
You have to search your own heart for the right answer, but I say it would be good.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
I had a Lab that almost made it to her 15 B-day! I think you would have this dog for many years and older dogs make great pets, no puppy bull **** to go through.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The shelter is closed today, so the only other time this week I can go is Wendsday.
The shelter he is at is a bit farther away then the local one, so I can only make the one trip...I'm waiting for them to post a picture of him on the shelters site, I'm curious of what he looks like. :] Anyone have any tips on taking care of a senior dog or on a Japanese Chin? I just looked up the Wellness Just for Senior dog food...it's rated a 4, would it be better to get the normal adolt food which is rated a 5; the Taste of the Wild is at a store a bit farther away, but I'm still considering it.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Tommarow when they open, perhaps you can call in and see what his status is.

I'm all for adopting older dogs. In my experience, they can be some of the nicest dogs you meet. I always enjoy taking one out for a little one on one at the shelter :)

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Oh I hope he hasn't been put down :( Thats why I've always gotten my animals from no-kill shelters (although afer volunteering and reading about the HS Im not sure how much of a no kill they actually are). Sending good vibes that he is there and your a great match :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the support! :] The shelter has another old dog, a 12 year old Pomeranian (there were 2, but the other was adopted), so he might not have been put down, atleast not for old age. The shelter holds 200+ dogs at a time, so I don't think a lack of space would contribute too it either....

·
Registered
173 Posts
Get to know the dog. Don't worry about the age. The two of you may be a great match.

You can't put a time limit on a perfect match.

What is that saying - It's not how many breaths you take, but how many take your breath away. (I don't think that's quite it - but close :rolleyes:)

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I recently took in an 11yr old dobie as a 'foster'. He also had kennel cough turned pneumonia, HW+, was extremely emaciated, had a torn rectum, and somebody kicked out his front teeth. Frankly I think the rescue who pulled him should have allowed him to be PTS.
However with that being said, now that I've nursed him back to health I'll be darned if anyone gets to adopt this 'foster'. :p As far as I'm concerned he is home. Seeing what he looked like the day I got him and seeing him now: the change is amazing. Kuschel is a special boy and I am so happy I have the opportunity and privilege to help him find happiness in his life again and finish it in peace and comfort.
There are no words to describe the feeling I get when I see Kuschel's 'smiling' face as he runs for me when I get home from work. :)

Senior dogs rock! They too deserve a loving home. ;)

Jihad
and the pound puppy crew.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good news, he's back on the site, it was just an error! :]
Thanks to all of you I'm feeling like I need (more like want) to adopt an older dog now! xD
One of my main fears is if he has some sort of special needs that I won't be able to handle or something upsetting, like a heart murmur. ]: Though, I would think they wouldn't have a dog like that up for adoption(since they would be harder to place in a home), but I could be wrong.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts