Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working with a local rescue in adding a #3 to the family. :) I received an email last night that they have 2 dogs that would be a good fit for us... one is a 4 month old Sibe mix, the other is a 7 month old Shep mix. To be honest, it's been a LONG time since I've had a dog that young... like, 20 years long, LOL. Because Lela can be cautious/persnickety, I'm thinking that this might be a good idea--she's pretty accepting of puppies, loves to play.

But-- what's it like having a tween/teen?? I'm assuming: action, chewing, mayhem? Working full time, I'm thinking that expecting a 4 month old to "hold it" all day is too much. Can a 7 month old "hold it" for 8 hours? I can certainly come home for lunch--I have a 3 mile drive each way-- not much of a big deal. Do puppies sleep a lot? Can a 4- or 7- month old hike 1-2 miles, or tolerate a 40 minute walk?

What were your dogs like during their tween/teen years?? I simply can't remember what it's like. I guess I should have started the Gingko Baloba supplements before now, LOL. :rockon:

Thanks!!
Jen

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I remember that mine were pretty good about potty training ... but each dog is different. Mine never really liked to dirty their crates ... with the exception of Benny ... he did not care . :/

I also remember them forgetting what I taught them at the age of 9 months. They magically remembered by 11 months of age. The potty accidents were few but still made between 7 months and one year for most of mine. Leeo was the hardest and still had accidents until about one and one half years old ....

Myself ... I like challenge. The rest was pretty much a blur! lol! :)

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Congratulations in advance on your addition! :)

There's a big difference, IMO, between a 4 month old and a 7 month old. Usually, it's not recommended for pups to leave mama til 8-12 weeks old, 2-3 months. So, 4 months is just beyond that, and still a baby in many ways. There's a "rule of thumb" that pups can hold it 1 hour per month of age + 1, so a for month old may be able to hold it for 5 hours. BUT, I have always found that rule to be "overambitious". I think 2-4 hours is more appropriate, maybe less, especially when the puppy is adjusting to a new home.
According to that same rule, a 7 month old CAN hold it for 8 hours, BUT, I know many who can't, especially if they are up and around and playing. But, you coming home at lunch would probably work fine, as the 7 month old could hold it a few hours in the morning, and a few in the afternoon.

As for exercise, I think a 4 month old, maybe 20-30 minutes, 2-3 times a day. The 7 month old, 40 minutes should be fine, even twice a day. You just don't want to do anything too strenuous before they are developed.

My first dog was a little slow to respond, and a little mischievious when he was a "teen", but nothing really bad. Our second dog, she was feisty!!! Into everything, curious, trying to explore like crazy, didn't listen/respond as well, she was a firecracker!

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I'm assuming: action, chewing, mayhem? Working full time, I'm thinking that expecting a 4 month old to "hold it" all day is too much. Can a 7 month old "hold it" for 8 hours? I can certainly come home for lunch--I have a 3 mile drive each way-- not much of a big deal. Do puppies sleep a lot? Can a 4- or 7- month old hike 1-2 miles, or tolerate a 40 minute walk?
I have a 4 month 1 wk old doxie mix - there is a lot of chewing and zoomies. My husband and I both work full time - he has two 3.5-4 hour stints in his ex-pen during the day, with a lunch break with my husband.

He gets up with my husband at about 6:45 am, and goes out. He likes to nap on me for about an hour at 7:45 (though it generally needs to be shorter so I can get to work). I believe he sleeps in his pen until my husband gets home for lunch, and seems to be waking up/stretching/yawning when I get home again around 4:30. He's then awake until around 9 pm, with sometimes a doze here and there, and he cuddles and sleeps with us until 10 or 11 when he goes back into his pen for the night.

He CAN hold it for 9 hrs overnight.

If he feels like walking, he can tolerate an hour walk (leisurely pace, with lots of stopping to chat with people who are gushing over him). If he doesn't feel like walking, he sits and stares at me like I'm torturing him and refuses to budge.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Bella was an angel (aside from being sick for two months) behaviorally from about 3-6/7 months. She had her moments where she destroyed something (mainly shew chewed paint off the walls in a few spots and got a hold of paper towel rolls) but they were few and far between. It wasn't until after she was 10+ months old that she really started with bad behavior. She two giant holes in my drywall, she's destroyed countless paper products (not limited to: log books, books in general, pay stubs, paper towels - truth be told I don't even know WHERE those came from as they were in a closed container).

House training - she hasn't had an accident in the house since she was 5 months old but I also didn't work when she was a puppy and I could take her out every hour. She was extremely easy to house train. At 6-7 months if she had to she could hold it 8 hours if we weren't actually out exercising/training - she'd prefer to sleep.

I didn't start taking her out on longer walks/runs until she was about 10 months old. Her walks previously were just around the block so maybe 20 minutes? On the bike she goes for an hour or two depending on how far she wants to run.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
All dogs are different in regards to chewing so i don't think we can answer that as it'll depend on the dog. We adopted a Brittany when she was 4 months and 3 weeks old. She was through the puppy chewing, was almost housebroken, for us, that age was great! I hope to never have a puppy again, give me an adult any day!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts