Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

First let me say how helpful this site is. Great resource, and a cool community.

Anyways I was planning on adopting a dog this Saturday, great guy, 3 years old, mutt.

Yesterday though, I broke my jaw, got about 5 stitches in a deep deep gash on my chin and chipped a tooth pretty severely. I can't eat solids for a long while and am on a serious pain killer for about a week.

Would It be responsible of me to adopt a dog into this house tomorrow? I live with 2 other people who will help out with myself and the dog.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
If you can still take care of it's needs and your own, go for it. If you are in pain and less tolerant of "new dog antics", then wait.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
It's a temporary disability, not a permanent one. If you really think your friends are reliable short term, I'd say do it. You can't do any real training for a few weeks after adopting anyway, so at first, you'll mostly just have to walk it and watch it.

·
Registered
943 Posts
If the broken jaw can still allow you to care for the dog and others in the household can help, then I dont see it being irresponsible what so ever. If you are going through some downtime because of the injury, like not going to school/work, then you can use this to your advantage for some quality bonding time to your new dog.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
HOW LARGE A DOG, with any size keep hands between you and dog and just don't ever trust new dog not to jump. (sometimes even old family members may jump) Forewarned is forearmed. That being said go for it as with pain you may need a 4 legged creature for some comfort.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts