Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have three dogs. I have a Samoyed, Dachshund, and a newly adopted mutt. He is the only male. We have had him for about a week and his name is Ozzy. My Samoyed's name is Athena, and the Dachshund is Dogmeat.

Ever since welcoming in Ozzy, he only plays with Dogmeat. I figured it's because her size, while my Samoyed is too big. She feels left out and it breaks my heart her only friend is playing with someone else.

My friend's godmother is going to put down a husky because she can't stand her anymore, she is too much of a hunter. Chickens, etc.

I want to adopt her but I'm not sure that would be the best decision. She is spayed and around 6-7 months.
Dogmeat is a year old. Athena 8 months. Ozzy 2 1/2 months.
I don't believe in fixing animals, although we are going to have to get Ozzy fixed because we cannot risk having any puppies (he already humps Dogmeat and he is just a tiny puppy!)

I also have two unfixed rabbits, but I don't think that is a problem right now with the husky. She may want to hunt them, but I doubt they will ever be harmed as they are constantly in my care.

I would like to set up bonding sessions with the husky and my dogs starting tomorrow. Is this a good idea? I cannot adopt her if she does not get along with my dogs because she might hurt them, or they might all hurt each other. I was planning on introducing her to my Samoyed first, then the dachshund. And not Ozzy because he lives inside as of right now anyway.

Athena is very silly when it comes to meeting any stranger or new animal. She will act like a scared child and jump into my lap, and being her size...it's a little funny. How can I assure they have fun tomorrow together? I was planning on introducing them each separately, then together. Or would the husky feel too ganged up on?

I have attatched a photo of the husky and my Athena.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I'm not sure you're prepared for how fast and determined dogs can be if they want prey. I couldn't stop my dog from grabbing birds on the wing (twice now), mice/shrews (5 times) or a rabbit (once). All of these incidents happened on leash. So if you're going to take this dog, she needs to be physically separated from the rabbits by at least one door at all times.

What about getting a rescue to take her? There are a lot of husky rescues out there, they might be able to help, especially if you're able to foster her for them.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
That's a pretty husky. :)

Huskies are really popular up here because, well, Alaska. They are extremely prey driven and it also takes a ton of work to make them good at recalls and not apt to wander off. They were bred to go find their own prey after a long day of mushing, so by default they tend to want to just wander away in search of something to hunt. They also were bred to run...run long and hard and for great distances...and bred to pull. There's nothing quite like seeing them pulling a sled and they LOVE to run and pull. So, leash walking...is a challenge. It's also always a challenge to get them enough exercise.

So, my concerns would be, first off, for the rabbits and the dachshund. I'd probably plan on never leaving them alone unsupervised since that hunting instinct is a prey drive. It's like their brains turn off and that instinct kicks in and it can be really tough to stop. I'd also be concerned about having a way to keep the dog from wandering off your property and having enough time to train. Huskies are GREAT dogs, but they can be a challenge to train for house manners, leash manners, and generally doing anything that a husky doesn't want to do. With that many dogs, it might be tough to find the time.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm not sure you're prepared for how fast and determined dogs can be if they want prey. I couldn't stop my dog from grabbing birds on the wing (twice now), mice/shrews (5 times) or a rabbit (once). All of these incidents happened on leash. So if you're going to take this dog, she needs to be physically separated from the rabbits by at least one door at all times.

What about getting a rescue to take her? There are a lot of husky rescues out there, they might be able to help, especially if you're able to foster her for them.
I agree with all this. Our dog has killed a squirrel while on a short leash in an urban neighborhood. She's that quick. The rabbits won't be safe unless they are in a separate room with a closed door.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My rabbits are locked in a room no one but myself can reach when the dogs are upstairs with us, so there isn't any problem. I decided not to adopt her because we are a bit suspicious about this girls story. Instead I am going to help her find a home. I live in Ecuador, we do not have an Animal Shelters like the US. None at all. And the one we have is not where I am located.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.