Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I do, all the time!

I'm pretty sure the previous owners, before I adopted Hunter, abused him. But besides that, what REALLY makes me mad (weirdly) is that they didn't clean his teeth! Lol.

His fronts are nice and white, but his backs are yellow with plaque. I'm so mad because I believe hes only four years old and I'm worried he will development gum disease later on. I brush them every week now, but only a professional cleaning will really help, if it CAN at this point. But I'll have to wait until summer to get that done. =/

Anyhow, anyone else feel like going to the old owners and smacking them on the head?

·
Registered
521 Posts
I want to "smack on the head" Angel's previous owner for the husband getting a dog when his wife clearly stated that she did not want a dog. When the rescue picked Angel up a year after they had her the wife did not even know the dog's name!

I want to "smack in the head" Fraggle's previous owner for leaving Fraggle in the back yard all day with no water or food in the middle of -30c weather and having to have the pound come pick him up. If it weren't for our local rescue, one of my heart dogs wouldn't be with me today.

I also want to give kudos to Karma and Stryker's "Mommy" for being an awesome breeder. She socialized and stimulated these pups from day one and made sure they were trained as much as 9 week old puppies could be when we brought them home.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Teddy's past owner treated him pretty well. The only thing I wish she would have done is socialized him. She took him home from the breeder at 9 weeks and he didn't go anywhere until we came and picked him up at 8 months. He didn't meet anyone new either, so he really missed out on that. He's gotten a LOT better but he is still skittish with new people.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Well, "smacking them on the head" is the least of their worries when it comes to me!

Donatello's previous owners need to be treated exactly how they treated him! Donatello is such a sweet and lovable goofball! HE LOVES HUGS! HE LOVES KISSES! HE LOVES SNUGGLING! And at the same time he can be just as independent if you want him to be... This dog is the greatest dog in the world to me, and I can not fathom why anyone would want to cause this dog pain... I mean, it must have been bad because one of Donatello's ribs sticks out farther than the others and it's quite dominate too...

It's sad...

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like Deege's idea!

That's it, lets sign a petition that allows us to treat previous owners the way they treated their dogs.

So that women wouldn't have a name...cause we wouldn't care about her.

We should leave previous owners out in the cold with no shelter, food, or water.

And I'm not going to brush the previous owners teeth! Hope his/her teeth rot....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I want to smack Zero's previous owners. Why anyone would want to give up a well, behaved and well mannered cocker spaniel is beyond me. Zero follows me around is not not only sharp as a tack, but very affectionate and well trained to boot.

I want to smack Brutus's previous owner because they kept the guy in a basement alone with a doggie door and basically just fed him. Consequently he's a 10 year old guy with no social skills whatsoever who doesn't even know how to sit.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I like Deege's idea!

That's it, lets sign a petition that allows us to treat previous owners the way they treated their dogs.

So that women wouldn't have a name...cause we wouldn't care about her.

We should leave previous owners out in the cold with no shelter, food, or water.

And I'm not going to brush the previous owners teeth! Hope his/her teeth rot....:rolleyes:

And we will let the woman go bring home anything she likes whether her DH approves or not. Her DH has to take some responsibilty for Angel's plight too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well, my foster hound is going on 11 and his teeth were literally black and brown. He had owners for 9 years before they had to give him up due to being put in a nursing home. During this time they did nothing with his teeth.

I know dentals can be pricey and I confess my 3 year old hound and (we think) 5 year old hound haven't had dentals but they have pearly whites.

Luckily, the vet Stanley went to is with the rescue so we got a deeeeeeeep discount for a dental and now his teeth are soo much better and his breath smells better as well. Also, no teeth needed to be pulled or anything (thank goodness).

Anyways, back to the question. Yes, I do want to ask them why they didn't do anything for him but I know (about 95% sure) their answer will be because of money.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I don't know if I should be mad at Marge's previous caretakers. I'm her first owner because the first year of her life she got bounced around shelters and rescues.

But whatever people had her while she was socializing did a terrible job. She grew up in a secluded part of Georgia, but I feel like they should have made more of an effort. All four siblings from the litter that I knew were and still are very shy around people.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And we will let the woman go bring home anything she likes whether her DH approves or not. Her DH has to take some responsibilty for Angel's plight too.
True! That would be his punishment for sure.

Well, my foster hound is going on 11 and his teeth were literally black and brown. He had owners for 9 years before they had to give him up due to being put in a nursing home. During this time they did nothing with his teeth.

I know dentals can be pricey and I confess my 3 year old hound and (we think) 5 year old hound haven't had dentals but they have pearly whites.

Luckily, the vet Stanley went to is with the rescue so we got a deeeeeeeep discount for a dental and now his teeth are soo much better and his breath smells better as well. Also, no teeth needed to be pulled or anything (thank goodness).

Anyways, back to the question. Yes, I do want to ask them why they didn't do anything for him but I know (about 95% sure) their answer will be because of money.

That's what I am most worried about as well. My cat, who recently passed away, had really bad teeth and one day came back from the vet with one tooth left (lol) and I used to work at a vet, so I know how bad teeth can get. Hunter is only around 4 and he already has plaque on his back teeth. I just don't want him to have to have his teeth pulled at around 6 years. When I start working in the summer im going to pay to get his teeth cleaned and im hoping this will help his teeth as well as his breath...which can be quite smelly at times.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I was, and still do get a bit upset when I see one of Wally's issues come back to haunt him or see some of his fearful reaction come out.

When I think of all the work that had to be done just to get him to warm-up a bit so that My mom and I could show that we weren't out to hurt him. Heck, I'm starting to get a little upset just thinking about the way he used to be.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I do. I don't know anything about the people who gave him up, but sometimes Cupid breaks my heart. Last night we went to our first dog training class, and he was very shy. This is typical for him in unfamiliar places when we're around unfamiliar people. He participated a little but would take frequent breaks to go sit by a chair. By the end of the class he was hiding under the chair. I think he was a bit overwhelmed. :(

I'm not a violent person, but there are times when I wouldn't have a problem punching his previous owner in the face.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I like that idea of doing to them what they did to kaki. I would relish beating the tar out of them and starving them. Hm, I should have taken a picture of Kaki when she came to me emaciated as all get out...Still have their contact info but I've refrained from giving them a piece of my mind.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Shelby's owner's: Locked in the garage.
Cains owner's: Left out in the yard while all the cute little dogs stay in the house.

They both still have some residual behaviors. I am not sure if they will ever completely go away.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have come to the conclusion that Uncle Fred's former owner must have had some kind of mental illness. He was beaten bloody, starved to the point of having osteoporosis at nine months, and has two ingrown collar scars, one moderate, and one huge. it's so big I am pretty sure you can see it on the siggie pic.

In addition he was parasite infested, and his ears were a bloody, fungusy (sp?) mess. I don't see how any sane person could do this to a cute puppy--he was only nine months old when we got him.

I hope that, since he was a cruelty seizure, part of the penalty was a ban on this person having any more animals. The idea of another hound suffering in Uncle Fred's place is horrifying.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts