Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good afternoon:

I am in need of some insight and advice please.

My family & I have spent over a month seeking out a dog "in need of a home" to adopt into our's to complete our family. I had posted a "Dog wanted" ad on the local craiglist and was contacted within two days by a lady who had a sheltie she wanted to rehome. Her reasoning was that her husband didn't want the dog.
She shared with me that this sheltie spent the first year of her life on a farm from which than she was adopted to a couple with a baby who kept her for six months than adopted her to this lady because they were moving into a smaller place and expecting baby #2. The lady who contacted me said she had the sheltie for five days and her husband didn't like/want her so she had to rehome her.
My husband and I drove two hours to get this sheltie. Upon arriving there the lady told me everything she had already emailed me. She also said that the couple who had her previous didn't look "well to do" and that is why she is so underweight. Granted I don't know the dogs history, I mean for all I know these people could have had this dog the whole time, ect. It's all questionable because she didn't come with any paperwork.
This morning I returned home from an errand to see that I had a message from this lady's husband. I called him back and he told me that his wife was obviously upset about rehoming the dog, she cried the whole way home, and he asked me if I would give the dog back.

I am a bit taken aback for a few reasons.
Obviously #1 - My family and I got hyped up about adopting her and than drove two hours to get her. We finally have her here and she's PERFECT!

#2 - How akward to adopt a dog out than a day later ask for it back? That doesn't sound stable to me. The dog has already been through four homes. (The 4th being my home) This is clearly unfair to the dog in all rights. She must be SO confused!

I have no idea what to say to this guy or his wife. I have been doing animal rescue for 7 years and have come across some strange situations but I must say this is the strangest so far.

My husband and I are very against giving her back as #1 we love her even though it has been only "1" day. And also .. who's to say how this man will treat this dog. It's obvious he wants her back just to make his wife happy - that is not ajoint decsion. At least my husband and I made a joint decsion when adopting her. We both felt the same about her.

The one thing that fired me up was the man said to me "Well my wife said you already have another dog right?". I repleid with yes. (I have a six month old Collie). Than he said "Well, than you really wouldn't be missing out on a dog than". If I could have slapped him through the phone I would have. He is NOT considering this animal's well being at all.

Would you mind giving me your insight please?

How should I reply and what should I say?
I'm deadset against giving her back.
What about if they pursue this legally - what should I do right now to cover myself and the dog?

Thank you.

I thought I would add that I have a copy of all contact emails between myeslf and this lady from the intial contact to putting together the date and time to meet, ect. Should I keep them?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I don't think they have any recourse that they can take. They gave the dog to you, you have the emails to prove it.

I'd just stop answering the phone when they call. You are under no obligation to them at all.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I agree with Samm, they gave the dog away, you have that in emails so that helps. I'd go take her to the vet and get shots and such done and just not return their phone calls anymore. That lady will get over it, the dog won't if the husband is not good to it. She made the decision to bring a dog home that her husband doesn't like, then she made the decision to rehome the dog.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Do they know your home adress? If so I would be very careful with dog being left in the yard. Really I don't think they have a leg to stand on, they GAVE you the dog, they advertised the dog on a well known site. the dog is in YOUR possesion. I woudl not return this dog, in fact I might even block their e-mails and their number so they cannot call or send e-mails. Dogs are not disposable, if she had doubts than she shoudl have thought longer and harder about teh decision.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don't know if they would steal the dog back, but if the dog ever went missing, that would be my first place to look.

I wouldn't worry about them, it sucks she's sad, but she only had the dog 5 days, she'll get over it. The dog will clearly have a better life with you, be happy with that fact, no need to stress, you are now this lucky dog's owner. As far as I know there isn't a 'cooling off' period for giving away pets.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the insight.

I contacted my vet just a few minutes ago and explained the situation. Her appointment was set for next week however he pushed it foward to tomorrow so I can get her shots, rabies, and spay date set and of course get her licensed. I also contacted the town clerk who agreed to notorize a statement of the "dog's residence" until I bring in her shot records. Small town - nice people.

I am not going to call him back or reply to any further emails as it stands. I believe I am doing what is in the best interest of Lacey and besides - she's a doll ... I am honored to have her as part of my family. :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Before you go blocking/ignoring them, let them know you do not want to give the dog back and you won't consider it. They should understand, if they don't, then tell them you won't be communicating with them any longer. If you have things like emails or papers proving they willingly gave you the dog, keep them just in case (maybe even let them know you have that kind of proof).

·
Registered
437 Posts
Thank you for the insight.

I contacted my vet just a few minutes ago and explained the situation. Her appointment was set for next week however he pushed it foward to tomorrow so I can get her shots, rabies, and spay date set and of course get her licensed. I also contacted the town clerk who agreed to notorize a statement of the "dog's residence" until I bring in her shot records. Small town - nice people.

I am not going to call him back or reply to any further emails as it stands. I believe I am doing what is in the best interest of Lacey and besides - she's a doll ... I am honored to have her as part of my family. :)
Good for you!!! That is what I would do too. What kind of responsible dog owner decides after 5 days that they do not want the dog they adopted, gives it away and a day later changes their mind again??? No, they wouldn't be getting the dog back if it were me either!!

Lacey is lucky to have found you!! Good luck with her!

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Sounds like the lady was trying to please herself and got a dog. When her hubby got mad she decided it was more important to keep HIM happy so she advertised the dog and got rid of the dog.. and is now using tears and anguish to force guilt on Hubby to get her way and have the dog....... IOW's a case of RAGING co-dependency.

Yeah.. not their dog.. and they didn't spay it or anything.. you got to wonder... Good Ol' Craigslist... Keep records and the dog. Silence is enough of an answer.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Absolutely keep ALL the contact emails you have from her. Also print the emails and keep a hard copy of them. I would also at minimum e-mail them that you won't be returning the dog. That way you have in writing that you informed them. In situtations like this it's always best to cover your butt and be as clear and concise about everything as possible. It would be nice if you called the lady back and verbaly told her of the stiuation, but emails should be enough.

·
Super Moderator
11,447 Posts
My first thought was, "How could you accept the dog without anything in writing from the previous owner?"

Then I remembered that the private owner who surrendered Molly to us gave me nothing in writing. If she had second thoughts after the fact, I'd be in the same boat as you are.

Stand your ground. That's not a stable home for a dog. What happens the first time the husband gets mad at the dog or the wife or both?

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Take it one step further and get the dog chipped. If they take the dog back, you've got proof that it's yours. Possession is 9/10ths of the law.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I agree with Hulk! Microchip and keep all correspondence as proof! Their loss is your gain...And the dog has been blessed to find you! :) It really doesn't sound the man needs to be allowed to have an ant farm much less a dog. :mad:

Legacy

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Here's what you should do.

1. Call 'No backsies'.
2. The next time you speak to them, say, "Nuh-uh. I already called no backsies."

After which they will have no choice but to concede. I mean, you did call 'no backsies'.

Seriously, though, you did everything right. The only thing I would add you should probably try to play the husband off the wife - he clearly didn't want the dog to begin with, so you should probably work that angle. Ask why he, personally, wants the dog. Play off his ego. Be subtle - in other words, please don't make the whip noise/gesture - but steer the conversation towards what he really thinks having a dog will mean for him, how much time he is willing to put into caring for her.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I agree with everything said here. You are obviously giving the poor dog more stability than it has ever seen.
Microchip him-tell the people it is a done deal the enjoy your dog.
We will be looking for pictures of your new family member

·
Registered
118 Posts
Good for you!!! That is what I would do too. What kind of responsible dog owner decides after 5 days that they do not want the dog they adopted, gives it away and a day later changes their mind again??? No, they wouldn't be getting the dog back if it were me either!!

Lacey is lucky to have found you!! Good luck with her!
I agree, and I wouldn't worry about them trying to get her back - I'd bet they never took her to a vet or tried to do anything to legitimately care for her, so they likely have no proof she was ever even in their posession aside from a craigslist ad and a handful of emails.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts