Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that I may come off as being really dumb, but we got our 3 year old basset on the promise that her swollen teats were NOT because she is pregnant. We just really loved her and wanted to take her home, and I'm still wondering if it's something to be worried about. She hasn't been fixed yet, and we are taking care of that very soon...unless she is pregnant. Do bitches teats stay enlarged permanently after having a litter? Or after going into heat? Is it possible that she has swollen teats and is not preggo? We'll be going to the vet, but I'm feeling stressed and would love to know if I could be a little more skeptical about her possibly giving birth in the mean time.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
After they have given birth their teats will be bigger than a dog thats never had a litter. She could also be having a false pregnancy, where her body thinks she is preggo and reacts as such (producing milk). The only sure way to know if she is or is not pregnant is to take her to a vet and have them check it out. Even if she is pregnant, if its in the early stages they can still do the spay.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts