Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, most people here advised me not to get a 2nd dog while my first dog, Melo, was still a puppy at only 5 months old. Well, what can I say. I wanted a 2nd and I got attached to this beautiful girl.

This is Lady. She is a year and 3 months old. Her owner surrendered her because of "Landlord Issues" in NYC. As is the case with most dogs (especially pitbulls) in the NYC ACC, she got Kennel Cough while in the shelter, and was put on the "At Risk" list. This list is released every day, showing dogs that were in danger of being PTS the next morning. I met with a couple other dogs before her, but just didn't feel it. The moment I saw her, I knew she was my dog. So after thinking about it for a couple days, and seeing her about to be PTS, I had to save her.

As stated, she does have kennel cough, and she is currently on antibiotics for it. I have been keeping her and Melo as separated as possible, and so far, Melo hasn't gotten it himself *knock on wood*

Now, she is listed as a pitbull mix. Any guesses on anything more specific? Just curious.

Also, I have been keeping her crated most of the time since I got her, trying to do the whole "2 week shutdown" thing, and it seems like it has already done wonders. I took her and Melo on a 3 mile walk today and they acted like they have known each other for years.

More pics:

Here she is tired out after her walk with Melo! Haha

And here is my main man Melo

·
Registered
7,440 Posts
I would definitely have advised against a second puppy, but I don't think it's as bad to add an adult dog when you have a puppy. Congrats on your new girl; she's lovely!

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
I think getting an adult dog while having a puppy was a better choice than a second puppy! Congrats!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Congrats on getting your new girl - definitely glad you didn't get another puppy!

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Adult dog was a much better idea! And she is absolutely gorgeous in my eyes ... and your "Main Man" is adorable too! Good luck with them together ... also hope she gets over her Kennel Cough quickly. Looks like with a few groceries/possible worming ... depending on what the vet says ... she will be back to normal weight and feeling much better too! :)

Looking forward to more pictures and stories about their adventures together!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I think an adult dog was a better choice, too. She's beautiful and Melo is too cute for words.

Are we sure she's mixed with anything at all? She looks like an APBT to me.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Congrats on your gorgeous girl. I love the second from the top photo, and those eyes say a touch of sighthound to me but that is just a guess. The look is one my Husky gave commonly and she had a touch of sighthound in her so my mind went straight there.

SOB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts