Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a rescue yesterday and adopted a purebred German Shepherd puppy from them. I was wondering can anyone hazard a guess based on looking at him if he would indeed be a purebred German Shepherd? He's supposedly 8 weeks and I've had two people comment that he's a bit smaller than what he should be for his age. Also while he's black and sable in coloring he has a white tipped tail. I also find things a bit strange surrounding his birth and such as after thinking the pictures of the parents the adoption agency had at the event looked familiar I dug through Craigslist only to find the same exact pictures in a posting.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Looks like a purebred black and cream (definitely not sable) GSD to me. The white on the paws isn't that unusual, and typically fades as they age.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about the white tip on his tail? Also from looks does he seem to be under 8 weeks? The posting I found on CL says those puppies were 5 weeks and based on pictures online he seems to fit much more alongside the ones of a 5 week old German Shepherd opposed to an 8 week old.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
I'd say he looks to be under 8 weeks, but probably older than 5 weeks.

This "rescue" sounds really sketchy, tbh. I'm sure that won't make you love him any less though. :)

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
There's a good chance that he might be a bit younger than 8 weeks. It's not unheard of for someone to turn in an entire litter when they can't sell them fast enough, or else they decide that they are "more trouble than they are worth".

I can't really see the tip of his tail, but any white there will probably decrease, as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses everyone! Also I've been reading online about dealing with temperaments of dogs under 8 weeks having been removed from their moms and littermates too early. I do have a female Siberian Husky that just turned 2 and she's been very attentive to him and will growl if he does something she feels is too far out there (like biting her too hard). Is this something I should be wary of? I'm hoping she can help raise him as her own.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Siberian HUSKIES doing that is normal they really don't tolerate things they don't like but she won't hurt the puppy they are very gentle and love to play. :)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
What she is doing is correcting the puppy like the mother would. My older huskies correct my six month old a lot but never hurt him

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another question: Should his ears be up already at this age? I've always heard about the ear flop with German Shepherd puppies and after taking him to the vet two days ago and finding out he's about 6 weeks, it seems pretty early for his ears to already be standing up completely.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Maybe your dog has just a slight touch of Husky in his background. I don't know a ton about either breed, but don't Husky pups have a bit "stiffer" ear cartilage overall, as compared to GSD pups ? I admit I'm really REALLY bad at playing guess the puppy, but it might explain where the white toes and white tail tip come from as well as the erect ears at a younger age.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
He could be, but there is no way to know for sure when you rescue a pet. He may have some husky in him. Could be anything. Did you get to see his littermates?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Another question: Should his ears be up already at this age? I've always heard about the ear flop with German Shepherd puppies and after taking him to the vet two days ago and finding out he's about 6 weeks, it seems pretty early for his ears to already be standing up completely.
He's got fairly small ears for a GSD, and as you can see, the let one isn't completely up yet. And not all dogs "read the book".

I got this girl at three months or so, and her ears were up, and never dropped, even through teething.

April 23. 2012 010 edit by Rosemary Elwell, on Flickr

At five, nearly six, years, you can see how small her ears are in comparison to some GSD.

2017-9-8 CC110 baseline Leo Left by Rosemary Elwell, on Flickr

2017-6-15 Dogs DSC_0867 by Rosemary Elwell, on Flickr

PS: I promise you that all pictures are of the same dog. German Shepherds can go through a LOT of changes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The ears being up that early is perfectly normal for some GSD's and doesn't necessarily mean he's mixed with anything. I got mine at 6 1/2 weeks and his have always been up. They never went down or went through any of the cute wonky stages that I've seen others go through.
Here he is:
IMG_7428.jpg

(If no picture shows up, I apologize. I'm terrible at posting pictures)

As LeoRose said, German shepherds go through absolutely crazy changes.
Here he is as a itty bitty tiny puppy:

E4683C9B-D614-4E61-9DD2-D15C2A90C5A1.jpg

*ETA: Sorry, I have no idea how to make the pictures bigger.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts