Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently adopted a dog (pit bull, not that it matters) from a shelter I volunteer at. I have only had him for a week now but after getting him home I realized I was so caught up of the idea of saving this little guy I didn't think of all the day to day attention he would require. I learned he needs a lot more time and space then I can offer. I have a small apartment and put in more and more hours at work and that leaves him in a crate longer than he and I like. I've had a pit bull before but I lived in a house and had someone else to help out. He has a lot of energy and needs someone to help him release it otherwise he doesn't know what to with himself. He is a special little guy with a big heart but just needs more time and attention then I can give. I don't want to take him back to the shelter mostly I am afraid of the damage that might be done to him physiology he doesn't deserve that. And I know this might be selfish but I don't want to go to the place I volunteer at and be the guy who gave up. So I am trying to find a permanent home for him or at least someone that can offer to foster him for the time being. He has a lot of love to give I'm just not the right fit for him. I know I rushed into this and made a mistake but I am trying to make a decision soon because this situation isn't fair for either one of us. I guess I am looking for some guidance or someone I can find a foster home quickly until he is able to find his forever home. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
You need to tell the shelter you volunteer at. If they find him in another home/see him on the street with another owner, or god forbid someone else turns him in down the line, you're going to be in a much bigger world of hurt than you would be for admitting to them that you leaped before you looked and asking for their assistance in finding a foster situation or courtesy listing him for you.

Trust me, I know why you don't want them to know that but as someone who spent a reallllly long time in rescues: They will eventually find out/know and then you've compounded it by not telling them about it.

They're the best resource you have for getting him into an appropriate home, anyway.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
So, when they ask you about the dog you no longer have, what will you do? Lie, lie, lie, lie, lie .... until he shows up at the shelter, half starved and covered in mange? Then it comes out that you rehomed him to a monster and lied about it the whole time?

Yeah, not better than being the guy who gave up. Tell the truth and let the shelter find him another home.

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
It doesn't even need the supposition of landing in a bad home; it's a possibility but it's not a given. Even if he ends up in the BEST HOME IN THE WORLD, they're going to find out. The vet's office when they take him in for something minor and it's the vet the shelter uses, the new owner happens to live near another volunteer who recognizes him, a dog park, a dog festival, a training class, at the gas station when he's in the car and someone from the shelter/a volunteer pulls up, whatever.

and you'll be a liar instead of the guy who gave up.

Just... fess up and ask for help. Tell them what you told us and let them help you find him a foster or permanent home.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you everyone for you input and feelings. I may have not mentioned this in my first post but I have been in contact with other volunteers the entire time, some more understanding than others. I have reached out to many local rescues looking for a foster but no luck yet. It hurts to think of returning him back to the shelter but in reality it may give him the best hope of finding his forever home. I planned on keeping him until Monday (6/22/15) after a vets appointment, but now I found out the shelter is have an event this weekend to showcase the dogs so now I'm thinking of bringing him in sooner so he could attend the event. Hopefully he would meet his match there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts