Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. I am new to this forum. I have a question about a newly adopted dog, he is 4 years old and he came to me 3 weeks ago. His name is Frankie and was found as a stray and then fostered for about a month before he came home to me.
I adore him and feel so sad.
This is what happened, I got home from being at work for about 3 hours. We are always very happy to see each other and I always let him out right away. Frankie saw me eating a cracker and didn’t want to go out so I put the cracker away and opened the door again. He was half in and half out the door and to coax him I reached down for his collar and began to say, go potty and he bit me so hard, hard. Broke the skin and lots of blood. I for the first time, raised my voice and said “ NO, NO BITE! You don’t bite me!” He was as shocked as I was as he has only gotten love and tons of attention from me. I have redirected him a couple of times when he has gotten a hold of a sock, asked him to drop it which he did— good boy!
He went to my room, I think under the bed, I took care of my hand and waited for him to come down. When he did I didn’t look at or talk to him, he was sooooo contrite and sorry, I know he was. I fed him dinner and for the first time he wasn’t barking and running around in anticipation of his dinner, he just waited for me to put it down.
After he ate I was petting him and letting him know it was over and this is his forever home, I hope that’s ok but I felt horrible about ignoring him.
I want to know if anyone knows when I can fully trust him again, when he will trust me to know I would never lay a hand on him or hurt him, although I know I really hurt his feelings. It’s been 24 hours and we made up last night but he seems so sad still, I feel sort of sad too but want to move on and learn from this.
ODDLY, and I would love opinions on this...... I got home today after being gone for an hour and he pooped in the house! He has never done this since I’ve gotten him. I said “no potty inside”, in a stern voice but not nearly the tone I used when he bit me. I let him out and dropped it. He knew he wasn’t supposed to do that but it’s very very cold here so I chalked it up to him not finishing his bm when I let him out before I left.
Any advise would be appreciated! I just adore him and want to do the right thing for him, God only knows what he has been through before he was taken in by the foster family.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Some dogs do not like it when you reach for their collar. Still, I'm not sure you can really train a dog who bit without any warning. Typically, dogs will at least growl to warn you before going straight for the bite. It seems to me that he got used to being scolded for growling, and went straight to biting instead (that's why it's not good to scold for growling, and better to learn to make the dog comfortable enough so that they don't feel the need to growl).

About the poop - dogs don't understand being punished after the fact. They live in the present. Just ignore it and keep praising when he poops outside.

I'll leave it to people with more experience though. In a case like this, I would typically recommend a behaviorist, but you can't exactly de-sensitize a dog that bites right away.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
4 years old has learned a lot of things from their experiences and interactions before you. So when you do something the dog draws from their experience of what it means, what will happen and so on. (anticipate) My Dad always told us about strange dogs, "You don't know what they know" that we couldn't expect the dogs to act like our own dogs as we have brought them up.

I purchased a 4.5 year old dog. Had to start from scratch building learning who each other was and how to work together. I have him almost 2 years now and yes he is fully my dog in every way and I know who he is too.

for the biting you, it's not uncommon for people to overly use the grabbing the collar of an animal to force them and it will lead to a dog finally biting their owner when they have had enough of it being done to them. Now you know that grabbing the collar is a sensitive action for your new dog that will need to worked with. As far as trusting your dog... you have only had him 3 weeks, you don't know him. Think it is not good judgement to trust that dog or any new animal without caution at 3 weeks. Your focus is on structure and rules while building your relationship and not forgetting that it's a dog and a dog you don't know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
True, thanks for the comment. I am now finding that I feel afraid of him! I worry about what may or may not make him want to bite me again. Let me say again, it was a VERY VERY hard bite, my hand is still very sore.
The things I did before like putting his coat on, putting his harness on, picking him up, scratching him underneath or near his collar, basically I don’t want my hands near his little mouth. I feel so anxious because, again, I didn’t have an indication/warning that he was so mad.
I actually feel just super, super sad because I feel like I can’t give him the affection the way I did before, I have to watch each move I make with him. I bathed him after having him for about a week and it was so much fun, now I dread it.
I really hope we can get back to being comfortable and I am trying to but my heart feels differently. I really hope someone who has been through this knows if this will pass because I adore him. ��

1 - 5 of 5 Posts