Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my daughter and I rescued a 1 year old female Catahoula Leopard from a shelter yesterday. She is still quite thin and very timid around strangers. She is not house trained and although I have trained my puppies in the past, she is not responding to any encouragement. She is actually hiding to do her business in the house, and although she is being taken out 7 times a day (in the morning, after breakfast, morning walk, after lunch, afternoon walk, after dinner, before bed), she is refusing to do her business outside and actually finds somewhere to go inside the house 5 minutes after getting back home. This is quite frustrating, as she is a very intelligent dog, and an absolute sweetheart. She has latched onto my daughter rather fiercely in the last 48 hours and stresses quite badly when my daughter goes to the toilet or showers. I feel that she has been abused quite badly in the past, and that this is also affecting her potty training. Any advice out there?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Don't leave her alone one second inside. Honestly, if it was me? I'd stay outside all day until she goes, and praise like crazy when she does. Rinse and repeat until she gets it.

And crate inside.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
one of my GSD pups was born and raised inside a basement, it was a winter litter so they were never taken outside.. His first foundation of learning was potty inside the house. That was correct for him and what he looked for. Hold it outside ( no matter how many or how long the opportunity) wait to come inside and potty. Took time of keeping to teaching him a new schedule and management of the environment until unlearning and re learning was accomplished.. I would put it at about 6 months old before he completely got it and was holding and seeking to go outside to potty.

In order to unlearn and relearn.. you have to take away the opportunity for mistakes, and set up a schedule and routine and stay to it . and keep training and working on other learning skills.. attention skills, some grown pups haven't learned the basics that an 8wk old puppy .... they don't know how to learn or that you have something to teach them.. The more the pup starts to pick up you are working with them, is when everything starts kicking in...

A nervous and fearful dog doesn't have to be an abused dog... but it can be a dog that has no confidence of how to live with you... That is why schedules and routines are so helpful repeating the same day over and over again is the easiest why to show them how to live with you.... that they can anticipate and learn to repeat with you and always be praised for.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts