Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the bag of Science Diet Advanced Fitness food that my 55-lb, 1.5 year old Afghan-hound mix eats, he should get 3 cups per day but I should adjust for treats.

I have no idea what to make of this. I gave him a large Nylabone Healthy Edible (roast beef flavor, if that makes any difference) and he ate half of it. I have no idea if this means I should reduce his dinner. How can I know how many calories and fat are in things like bones and chews?

I'm in the process of training him, so I feed him about 3 small hard Milkbone biscuits per day, plus maybe 6 small soft chews (from what I assume is a quality brand, since a small bag cost me almost $20).

Should I just keep feeding him 3 cups of food per day, or should I feed him less to account for the occasional Nylabone Healthy Edible chew and other treats?

·
Registered
818 Posts
IMO, just "eye" your dog's waistline and if you can feel his ribs thru his fur, (not seeing them) and his waistline is "tucked in", then he is okay. If you notice him gaining weight, then cut back on the treats. The guidelines on a bag of food are just that. I have 3 "couch potatoes" and they never get the full portion that's on a bag. I also know the calorie count I want them on, and I buy treats that list calorie count and include them in the total. If the treats don't have the calorie count, maybe you could email the company and ask them. I'm sure they have that info. Good luck and I hope this helps a little.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts