Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in adding another pup into my home. I want a small dog - really attracted to a pom. We had a pomeranian when I was a kid and it was great - it especially bonded with my mom and I am interested in a closer relationship like that now.

I know poms can have a dominant personality - I currently have a boxer girl (she is still a pup also but she is already the dominant dog of our two), and a 6 year old male Aussie mix mutt, do you think adding a pomeranian in the mix will be ok? I plan on getting a male pomeranian and I have my eye on one that was just born a couple of weeks ago that will be ready at the beginning of June which will work great since I will be home all summer with the kids.

I am currently in training with my boxer and plan on continuing that with her. I will also train my new puppy. Do you guys think a boxer and pomeranian can get along together ok? Is there any other small breed dog that might get along better with my boxer instead?

I do have kids, I know that can be a concern with smaller breed dogs - however I have been training my kids as well and they have always grown up with a dog in the house. I was a kid when we had our pom CoCo and it worked and I believe since I will be home most all the time this summer I will be able to closely monitor the puppy and my kids.

TIA for thoughts and opinions.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
If your existing dogs are dog-friendly, they will be friendly toward a Pomeranian. Breed is irrelevant in this case.

The only thing I would consider is whether your Boxer is too young. Having two puppies to keep an eye on can be a lot of work. How old is your girl now?

If your existing dogs are dog-friendly, they will be friendly toward a Pomeranian. Breed is irrelevant in this case.

The only thing I would consider is whether your Boxer is too young. Having two puppies to keep an eye on can be a lot of work. How old is your girl now?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Abby is 4 months now - I know that is young, LOL. I have her 80% potty trained and now that the weather is getting better here she is more interested in being outside ALL the time. She is so independent - she prefers to be outside playing in our yard almost all day long. I drive a school bus so I am home most of the day and she gets free reign outside when I am home and she LOVES it. I have experience with raising 2 litter mates together and have actually found it easier to have the two - I guess it is like having twins, lol, you just don't know anything else. By the time I bring in a new puppy Abby will be 6 months old and "should" be 100% potty trained.

My dogs are dog friendly - I guess my thought is on two very dominant breeds together. I can tell Abby is going to be dominant just like our previous boxer Alex was. Can two dominant breeds live together in harmony?

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Dominance, or assertiveness, isn't hereditary. You may be mixing it up with stubbornness or hard-headedness, which mostly pose an issue in training, not in interactions with other dogs.

You may want to reconsider waiting until Abby is about a year old before getting a new dog. If you get this puppy, she will arrive when Abby is approximately six months old... that's when adolescence starts to set in and raising gets particularly difficult.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts