Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a coupon the other day for a free 13.2oz can of Pedigree+ dog food. So I got one, I think it was "Heart Healthy" or something.

My dogs loved it! I don't worry so much about the puppy's eating, but my 1 yr old hasn't eaten the same since we got her spayed. I mixed it in with their dry food for breakfast yesterday, and Belle ate it all! Then when dinner time came, she was hopping!! She hasn't hopped about dinner since she was a puppy! So I told my husband, the canned food stays.

But, Labradors are known to put on the lbs if they eat too much. I'll probably do 1/4 of the can per dog per meal. So that's 1/2 of the can per day total for each dog. Or do you all think that's too much?

So my question is, how much less dry food should I give them? The 1 yr old gets about 3 cups a day (well that's how much I give her, she usually only eats about 1 cup total), and the puppy gets about 4 cups a day.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
It's hard to say without knowing the dog's weights and activities, but I decide on a regimin and then watch the dog's weight (by sight and feel). I know how they are supposed to look and feel and I automatically check them every meal now. If they start looking a little too tucked or their ribs feel too close to the surface, I up their food a little. If they start looking or feeling a bit chunky, I decrease it a little. Mine are on regular, stable amounts, but I still check every meal with a quick look and a rub up and down their ribcage. It's just a habit now. :)

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Four. that makes sense...I was thinking take away 1/2 cup for adding 1/2 cup. So I will see.

Belle is about 62 lbs, Penny will be about the same or a tad bigger the vet says :)

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I would probably add mainly enough to get the adult to eat. Be careful, because she may get 'picky' to the point that she licks the canned off of the dry, and leaves the dry! Our adult female ate canned mixed with dry for a while, then started doing just that, so we went back to dry, and just let her eat what she wanted each meal. If your adult is in proper weight, perhaps her 'finickyness' isn't bad at all, and her just telling you she just doesn't need that much food. Depending on the food, too, she may just not require much daily intake.

Pedigree isn't the greatest as far as canned feed either; it contains by-products, which means you don't really know where they come from. Authority has a canned food that is just as 'cheap' but is much better content wise. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts