Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No decision has been made yet, I have to do a lot of serious thinking still, so this is merely a research mission.

As you may or may not know, Corona is my only dog (Chihuahua), and has been all along (2 years). I'm looking for info, all the pros and cons, of adding a second dog (also a chi) to my life. Aside from the financial consideration, what do I need to think about?

I'm 24, and I rent (pet friendly building of course), but have no plans to move at this point. I'm self employed and work from home but do a bit of traveling.

I'm a little concerned that a new dog would wreck the amazing behaviour that Corona has (super laid back, quiet, hardly barks etc).. but she's 2 and the new dog would be a puppy, so maybe she would be an influence on them, instead of the other way around??

help please!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Congratulations on doing the right thing by asking these questions BEFORE you get the dog instead of after you have it and are having problems. Bravo! Just a few points about getting another dog. These are what I would do and what I have done:

Realize that it may take some time for Corona to get completely used to a newcomer. It could take 4-6 weeks before you feel comfortable leaving them alone together. It could be one week, but that's unlikely.

Make sure to protect both dogs from each other during the adjustment period. A puppy can be frightened by an adult dog's behavior and also, Corona will need to have some time away from the puppy energy.

Be sure to spend quality one-on-one time with each of them when the other isn't around.

For the week before the puppy comes, hold back in your attention and affection for Corona. That way, when the puppy comes, you can lavash attention on her, giving her the association that the new puppy = lots of attention and love from mom.

The dynamics of the household are going to change, but if you remain calm and be sure to give Corona good attention after the baby comes, there shouldn't be a problem.

Have them meet in a neutral place. The best place would be somewhere that Corona doesn't even normally go.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Carla, that helps!

Any other advice?

·
Registered
962 Posts
That was a great responce you got, I will just add my personal experience to it. I would say, do not wait too long like if your dog is six, and adding the puppy, the older dog tends to look at the necomer more as a intrusion rather then a new friend. That happened to my close friend.

My dogs are now 7 & 9 so I got them two years apart. My first was a male and the pup was a female, although at that age I do not feel it made a difference. but the older dog just loved the pup immediately. And it worked out so well they are like glue, and there was absolutely no bonding lost between my wife and I, and the dogs. just do not wait too long!!!

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Bob, that is something I hadn't thought about!

And thanks tuffy! Miss Corona is a whopping 3lbs. :)

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it a lot harder to find someone to "dog-sit" two dogs?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts