Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picture an older, neutered male rat terrier, always grumpy toward new dogs.

His housemate, a female JRT, was just put to sleep recently. The rat terrier is very clearly depressed. The family is looking for another dog.

Question: should they be looking for, specifically, a FEMALE companion for him? I.E., is there a greater chance of trouble between him and another male (who would also be neutered)?

BTW, the family was considering adding another dog before the JRT passed. This isn't any sort of impulse purchase.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Generally, yes, mixed-gender pairs get along better. Especially with terriers. Although of course individual personality matters a lot, too.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Picture an older, neutered male rat terrier, always grumpy toward new dogs.

His housemate, a female JRT, was just put to sleep recently. The rat terrier is very clearly depressed. The family is looking for another dog.

Question: should they be looking for, specifically, a FEMALE companion for him? I.E., is there a greater chance of trouble between him and another male (who would also be neutered)?

BTW, the family was considering adding another dog before the JRT passed. This isn't any sort of impulse purchase.
Yep. Go for a female and while many people often suggest puppies in these situations, I'm going to buck the trend and suggest an older puppy rather than a 10-12 week old tiny baby. The reason for this is simple. Puppies squeak and whine. Rat terriers often have crazy prey-drives. That added on top of a grumpy dog and a puppy's fragility would make me not want to go there.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick responses! They're interested in an adopting older pup or young adult (10 months - 3 years or so), and I suggested a female. Just wanted to check if that advice was solid. The mom wants to rescue/adopt. I found a few options on Petfinder that I'll show them today. =)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts