Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guess first I should introduce myself.. hello long time lurker first time poster,
have a lovely about to be 6 month old mutt girl named Shayla.

So two weeks ago on our first morning walk, we stop to play a game of tag... well I didnt notice the ice and one second I am starting to run next second I am flat on my back with a very sore arm, lost the leash (thank goodness for recall training), she was at my side in a second and helped me get up, we walked slowly home. I headed to the hospital and sure enough I had broken my right arm in three places and its in a cast from fingers to shoulder.

So needless to say, I can't play tag right now, her absolute fav game in the whole world, my fetch is on the lame side also at the moment.

We still go for our walks everyday. I have added a few more trick learning activities so far she has learned high 5 and spin and I have increased our puppy playdates. However, I feel like she maybe getting at little bored, since well right now mommy is kind of lame and cant run around with her.

So, I am wondering if anyone has any ideas for any activities we could do together to burn off that lovely puppy energy.

Thank you.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Welcome!

I understand not being able to throw with your arm all hurt (you are probably right handed?) What about investing in a Chuck-it? It can toss a tennis ball for you with very minimal effort from your left arm. That will give your pup ample time to run and fetch.

How about a friend who has a dog of similar size and energy and do a puppy play date? Or find a local dog park to help your pup socialize and get some energy out. Maybe hire a dog walker a couple times a week for some extra energy-draining.

Or... get another dog! Just kidding... or am I? :D

I'm sure you'll get many more suggestions too. Hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep right handed, I sure miss using it - only 4 more weeks to go.

Thank you a Chuck-it is a great idea.

We had a playdate just this afternoon a friend of mine has a pup just 2 weeks younger and they play together really well. She always naps so nicely after.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried the kick the ball, she looked at me like I was crazy walked over to were the ball went turned around got a stuffie and sat down.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Oh I thought of a good one for you!

Well, depending on your dog. My cocker hated this, but my elkhound couldn't get enough.

A small remote controlled car! Hours of hilarity, followed by a tired dog. I think I got the car for like $19 at Wal-Mart. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What a fun idea, I am so going to have to pick up a little remote control car.
Will be addiing that to my morning shopping list along with the Chuck-it.
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
When I first saw the title of your post, I thought maybe your dog had helped you break your arm, lol. :p God knows Bella tries hard to break mine when we play tug! :rolleyes: Good to know yours tried helping you up! :) If I fell, Bella would just come and nudge me with her toy, telling me to come on already and let's get going again!

Very sorry for your misfortune!

I would definitely try what the other posters have suggested, especially the remote control car!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol, thats what is exactly what my grandmother thought when she was me, she was like what that puppy of your broke your arm, what did she do... trip you? :)

For the first week she was really good about the sore arm, now moms just lame in her eyes. Like today waiting for her puppy friend to arrive we were in the yard, she was tring her best to get me to play tag, so I tried. Walking around instead of running, we made it around two trees than she looks back at me like... come on mom run takes a few more steps, sees I am still walking and she turns around lets out a sigh walks up to me and lays at my feet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts