Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am preparing to move to Vancouver, Canada from Europe, and for the last seven months I've been trying to find a safe way of bringing my elderly dog across the ocean, to not much avail so far. The dog suffers from separation anxiety, and a few vets I've consulted with said it poses a serious health risk for him to be flown separately from me (i.e. under cabin) because a noisy, unfamiliar environment in the absence of the owner might trigger a heart condition. The dog is a German Shepherd, so he's way too big to be allowed in the cabin. So far my emigration has been put on hold and I've focused on looking for an alternative for flying him under cabin.

After 7 months of research and about a hundred letters written to airlines/dog owners/pet relocation companies it appears that big dogs simply don't fly with their owners. I just cannot wrap my head around this! Unless you are a celebrity willing to charter a business jet for your pouch, you are basically left without any options whatsoever.

I ended up starting a blog to share my quest with fellow dog travellers and I'm thinking of launching a campaign to make success stories of safe travel with bigger dogs available to both owners and airlines and to promote safer and more dog-friendly air travel choices. It would really help if you could share any stories of big dogs travelling by plane without being separated from their owners OR travelling across the ocean by ship with their owners.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Some freighters also take paying passengers. They are no-frills trips but generally have regular cabins and meals are served. No "fun" amenities or anything like a cruise ship but often cheaper. No idea if any of them allow dogs or under what conditions.

Canadian trains will take dogs in the luggage compartments in crates, but you are able to visit them to feed, water and take them out for their bodily needs at stops apparently. Luggage compartments are not air-conditioned (only heated) so you'd have to travel during the cool months of the year.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts