Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A young friend of mine just got a GSD puppy. I aksed how much she paid.....$127!!! I shudder to think what kind of breeder sells purebred GSD pups for that little. Most BYBs in the area charge at least $300-$400. The breeder evidently had several litters of several different breeds available.

Evidently the pup has "papers", but I don't know with what registry.

The pup has already been to the vet and given medication for some kind of illness, which I guess could be taken as a good sign, since she's obviously willing to take the pup to the vet. Though it's a bad sign that the pup HAD to go to the vet.

I think I'll try to get her to come here, so at least she'll be able to take proper care of her dog. I really hope the pup turns out healthy and tempermentally stable......ugh, I really think a badly bred GSD is a time bomb.

So, GSD people, how bad is this situation?

·
Banned
7,939 Posts
Like anything, time will tell.

If I were her I would first and foremost get this puppy on really good food. Evo etc. Non Grain based food.

Second, as soon as possible, get the puppy in a puppy class and out and around people, dogs and other things so the dog is exposed to as much as possible.. and really well socialized.

Any dog can have a somewhat unstable personality.. and it matters not the breed. Training and socialization can go a LONG way toward overcoming these things.

Fact is, most GSD problems are lack of socialization early on and continuing as the dog gets older. People get these dogs and the only time the dog sees anyone is if someone comes to the house or when the family is with the dog. They don't take the dog with them when they go places and they don't walk the dog in public etc.

Of course, I say that this is the problem with most GSD's but it is a really a lot of dogs.. it is just that when a GSD becomes reactive to new people, the dog is labeled aggressive and the breed gets a black mark. The images of GSD's doing Police Work don't soften the image.

Meanwhile, I know of a dog that was a puppy rescue.. obviously a pure GSD, and he is doing therapy dog work in Nursing homes and is wonderful.. and has NO hip issues. These dogs still do guiding eyes work and they herd sheep and cattle... but those are not the images shown.

Getting the dog out and about and working at this will go a LONG way toward making up for bad breeding. Of course, the real concern is the dog's structure (hips and elbows) and the why for good food. Even if you can get the social skills down.. those hips can be a problem.

I would suggest your friend get health insurance on this dog for the first three or four years of his life. PetPlan seems to be pretty good.. but she needs to get it now along with a microchip. This way if her puppy needs orthopedic surgery for hips and/or elbows, she has coverage.

·
Registered
20,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately, none of that is going to happen :( . I'm not very hopeful. We'll see, I guess.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.