Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious for any ideas for a couple issues I have going on with my dogs. For some backround I have a 2 y/oACD mix,pepper, who in her head is ALL ACD. Got her from an undesirable situation at about 3mos. She was very fearful for awhile. She has very strong herding instincts and is extremely intelligent. She is very obedient but is also like a sneaky kid who if allowed or doesn't think she will be seen will crawl out of her "downs" or "go to beds" one of the issues with her is her rushing, she is very clingy, which for the most part I don't mind but my sister (who lives with me) can't stand it and pepper does everything at 100 miles an hour. She pretty much tries to herd her. Btw this is not a child we are talking about.

One will be walking and all of the sudden she will rush to dart at you. She does this more with my sister than myself I'm thinking maybe because I'm more confident and laid back with her? I try to create games and work for her, she now knows how to clean up all her toys and she may know more english phrases than half the people I work with, but sometimes I feel like the extra stimulation makes the rushing and neediness worse. Any ideas???

Also I recently, about a month and a half ago, adopted a second dog through our humane society, he is a smaller guy, boston terrier and chiuhauah. He is cooper and he is 3, he just got neutered right before I adopted him and I'm pretty sure he was never taught anything. He is finally starting to get sit and I'm hoping we may have gotten the no bathroom in the house thing down. They get along great, they sleep curled up together on the same bed. But if we all go down for a walk which we do 3 to 5 times a day (we live in an apartment) if we come across other dogs or people or frankly any distraction one of them will jump on the other and they sound like they will fight to the death, however it seems like they are playing as there is never teeth involved and the second I reach down its easy for me to stop.
They really do get along so its just strange, I hate looking like I'm walking killer dogs. For awhile we had a boxer mix staying with us and when I walked her and pepper they never had this issue but they were also the same size not sure if that has anything to do with it. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks for bearing with my long boring novel.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
What do you do when she "darts" at you? How much exercise is she getting? I'm thinking she may not be getting ENOUGH and that's why she does this (besides the fact that she's trying to herd).

As for the jumping on each other, I think I understand you correctly. When you walk BOTH your dogs together and you come across another dog or people, your two dogs jump on each other and seem to be fighting, but maybe it's just rough play? Do I have it?

To me, that seems like they are over stimulated and over excited by the presence of the other dog/people, and can't control their behavior. My dogs used to do something similar on walks when they were younger, they would wrestle and jump on each other as they were walking, but ONLY when we were on our way home. So, my thought for my own situation was that they were too excited about going home (they don't particularly like walks), and were simply to excited.

Maybe you could try giving a few commands, and see if you can distract them from this behavior. For instance, if they know "sit" try that. If they sit, give them a treat. If you can't distract them with commands, I would just remove them from the area where the other dog/people are, even if it means turning around and going back the way you came, or going down a different path, or whatever, so that they can calm down. Then, if they are able to be calm away from the other dog/people, give them a command and give them a treat if they do it. That way, they receive a reward for behaving appropriately, but have to leave the situation where they aren't behaving.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I have ACDs Izze "darts" at me allthe time ESP when we are going to play lol. I don't care, Izze barks a lot , I tell her to shut up (literally lol) but she keeps doing it, im jus kidding, I really don't care if she barks her fool head off lol, it could be her personality, but w/out seeing the dog i can't really say. I would also look at ways to satisfy her herding instinct, lotsa great ideas on google. Also www.cattledog.com is a good info site.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the ideas!

Doxiemommy: I'm sure she doesn't get enough activity, I walk her 3 to 5 times a day for around 20 min each. But in the summer we go hiking and that doesn't put a dent in it either. Once we hiked something like 8 miles (over 3 hours) and by the time we got back she was bouncing off the walls!

When she darts at me, unless she lands on my foot, I ignore it. It seems that if I respond vocally it just makes it worse. I guess maybe I believe that it is something instinctual and it won't change, I don't know. I think a lot of times it is playful energy. I think she does it so much with my sister because she sees her so much less and so it is like a friend come to play. (Even though her "friend" can't stand her and isn't home much because she can't t take the intensity)

You exactly got what I meant about the walking. I think I will definitely try sitting when I see distractions, pepper has a very reliable sit and since she is the bigger one I think that should work. Cooper seriously knows nothing! We have been working on sit for 6 weeks now and he's only aout 65% turning away from distractions doesn't really work here, as I live in a very dog friendly neighorhood they are seriously every where we turn. I probably encouter 5 dogs on average most times we go out. ( of course none are as barky as my new addition)

Dogdragoness: I definitely get what you said about about telling izze to shut up. I tell pepper that all the time, but usually she is talking not barking, never had a dog do that before. I used to ignore her hoping to discourage her but I realized if I didn't acknowledge her she would just keep going on and on. So now I engage in conversation with my dog, I swear I look looney tunes! And I didn't fully realize how many things she knows until I adopted my little guy who is the complete opposite when it comes to personality, he could care less about learning anything. I thought adopting a three year old would be easy ut really it is like having a 3 year old puppy who hasn't had anything taught or expected of him his whole life! It is taking me awhile to bond with him. Pepper has ruined me I think. She is crazy and compulsive has the worlds longest memory at the same time as dog adhd. I don't get how it is possible but the same things that are annoying are the same things I love. I will have to check out some activities I think we could have a lot of fun. Ok I will stop talking about pepper I could write a novel on her awesome-ness lol.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Don't know how you stop that, both of mine do it, as a good amount of others that "rush" but she is also young (2 yrs I believe you said?) so she may calm down as she ages, but be warned, ACDs as a breed are very "intense" dogs, which is why I don't leave Izze with my folks for boarding anymore lol they can't take it either :9.

But it sounds like you love her & understand her, it sounds like you are doing a good job with her but the do can only change "so much" they. Any fight their nature & the more a person is like, frustrated or something the more they seem to delight in peeving them off lol. Think about it, their job is to drive headstrong cattle so it pays to be irritating/ annoying lol.

I say that is your sis can't at least meet you half way & accept her breed quirks then I would tell her too bad so sad lol, it's only fair to the dog, forcing her to "suppress herself" could lead to distructive tendencies later bc she isn't being allowed to "be herself"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts