Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got Riley fixed this past Friday, she just turned 6 months and is weighing in at about 45 lbs right now. I dropped her off at like 8:15am and she was all done & ready for pick up around 1ish. When I picked her up she was obviously still groggy & tired from the anesthesia. She threw up a few times Friday afternoon/evening and had no appetite at all, the vet said this would be normal because the anesthesia makes them nauseous. The last time she threw up Friday evening was like a dark green color though which seemed very odd to me.

Anyway she starting seeming a little better on Saturday, she had a bit more energy & was up and moving around more and finally ate some food Saturday afternoon and had now been eating regularly. My problem now is that she keeps having accidents in the house despite me having just taken her out. This morning I took her out at about 6am and by 7:45 she had peed & pooped (which she never ever does) in the house. Normally she only needs out every 3-4 hours. This is probably the 3rd or 4th instance of her peeing in the house since I brought her home from her surgery. Why is this happening? Is this normal after getting fixed, does she just not have control right now? Or is it perhaps because she is depressed/angry?

Any sort of help or insight would be greatly appreciated. I already now have to throw out a large area rug because of this despite lots & lots of scrubbing.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Fairly normal in the week or 2 after any surgery. Anesthetic can really throw off all their body functions. Also the fasting before and the fluids given during the surgery can mess up their usual schedules. Just keep an eye on her, confine her if you have to, take her out frequently, and try to get her back to her regular schedule gradually.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I agree with Wliiowy: > confine her if you have to<

I would say if poops look normal that her routine is out of whack. Give her a refresher course on potty training using her crate. Take her out often and to the same place she normally uses to potty. After a couple of days of retraining using her crate she will have the potty routine back to normal.

oldhounddog

·
Registered
117 Posts
My dog was neutered on Tuesday and we are having the same problem. It's like he's totally forgotten he was potty trained. He hasn't alerted us one single time since the surgery and just goes in the house whenever he needs to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts