Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night Biscuit peed on the carpet right in front of my husband. She stopped when he said "No!" and finished peeing when I took her outside. This was about two hours after she had last been taken out and about 15 minutes before her usual last outing of the night. She drank a bunch of water when we got back from the dog park, but nothing unusual. She has been on a really good schedule for a few months now and has not had a single accident since August. We're keeping a close eye on her but she was fine overnight.

Other things: she's about 11 months old and was spayed when we got her in July. She's been on Claritin for about a week and a half for allergies. It seems to make her a little thirsty. She was boarded over Thanksgiving in a cage-free place where they let the dogs do their business anywhere (and clean it up immediately), so maybe that caused the confusion? Except we picked her up on Friday and the accident happened on Sunday (and I'm absolutely sure we didn't miss any stealth peeing), which seems like kind of a long separation in time if that was the cause. If this happens again, I'll take her to the vet about a UTI, but she seems to have been going normally on her usual schedule other than this.

Any ideas about what could have caused this (hopefully) one-off accident? Or how to prevent in future? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Could be the increased water consupmtion, the boarding...or could be a UTI.

A few montsh ago Gracie, who is perfectly housebroken, decided that the quilt on her dog bed needing peeing on. It was a one time deal, she did it right in front of me. It was odd.

I would keep an eye on her...be vigilant for a few days. If it doesn't stop, call the vet and take her in.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I guess we'll just wait and see. This morning I tried to see if she was like, squatting but not actually peeing much (as if she had a UTI) but she always pees on very absorbent surfaces like mulch so I couldn't really tell. Hoping it was a one-time deal.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
One of the things I pride myself on the most with dogs is my ability to housetrain (not to brag or anything, but I'm pretty darn good at it :)). I was working in my office, when ET was probably around your dogs' age and she squatted and peed. Right next to me. I was so stunned I couldnt even react. I went back to Housebreaking 101 for awhile; taking her out often, keeping her close to me indoors, etc. It was bizarre for sure. But then, so is ET ;)

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dogs are weird, that is a fact.

Biscuit was really rock solid for months and she got the housebreaking memo really quickly in the first place. She wasn't housebroken when we got her, but the only mishaps we had after the ten days or so were a)in her crate when there was an earthquake and no one was home with her, and frankly I can't blame her, I'm sure it was terrifying and I would probably have peed myself too; b) when I left her at a friend's house, and c) at another friend's house when no one was looking. So she took/is taking some extra time getting the "don't pee in other people's houses either" message, but at home, not the slightest hint of desire to pee, even for several weeks after we put the rug back down in the living room!

Here's hoping she was just being weird. Maybe she just thought the living room rug needed peeing on. We're definitely keeping an extra close eye on her for awhile.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...and it just happened again. A week later. What the heck?

I called the vet and they said that if she doesn't seem to be in pain or straining or anything, and is otherwise doing her business normally it doesn't really sound like a UTI, although it would be hard to tell without actually doing a urine test. So we're going to be even more vigilant for awhile. My husband witnessed it again this time - just a drop, then she stopped and finished outside. He said it was "like a racehorse" when he got her outside so I guess I'm going to blame this one on the owners.

SIGH.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Regression of house breaking is a pretty common thing as a dog grows older and test limits. I'd go back to housebreaking 101 to be safe. Many trips outside, and lots of praise when outside.

Peanut was an easy house breaker. 4 times in the house and that's it. After 2 months of never going in the house I busted her going on the carpet. That was over a month ago and I haven't had an issue since. It's not an uncommon thing :)

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's an interesting point. Biscuit (or, in this case, Whizkit) is 11 months old and has certainly been acting like a bit of an adolescent female from time to time. Testing limits, indeed.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
That's an interesting point. Biscuit (or, in this case, Whizkit) is 11 months old and has certainly been acting like a bit of an adolescent female from time to time. Testing limits, indeed.
Abbylynn one time at about 10 months old was great at being housebroken,...but one day she just plain sat down like a normal dog would sit....and low and behold when she stood back up there was a lake underneath her. It happens IMO every now and then when they are still so young......testing the waters. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts