Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People have been very kind.

I love my dog and I still believe in God. I will always replay "gotcha day" in my mind over and over through rose coloured glasses. This dog has helped me understand adoptive parenthood as well as so many other things. I needed a dog for my own survival, "cashed in" every bit of my childhood dog knowledge that occupies the parts of my brain where the multiplication tables are supposed to be, and got everything I wanted and so much more. I had no idea I could love her so much after coldly and unemotionally purchasing a valuable piece of livestock.

I still think that it was a mistake and nobody was trying to intentionally deceive me. I just don't know everything there is to know about everything.

But it's time to face facts. My dog daughter is NOT a Chipin backcross bred for temperment who wound up looking just like a puppy mill chorkie, she IS a puppy mill chorkie.

She was fostered from a very young age by a Chipin and raised with that Chipin's own litter by a woman and her children who did everything they could to find her a forever home and they suceeded.

The fact is that I had no idea Yorkies are as amazing as they are or i WOULD have wanted a Chorkie and been happy to adjust my lifestyle to provide Laurel with the best possible healthcare and adaptations.

We don't always get to choose our children. The puppy mill has to be found and shut down because they are doing horrible things to people and puppies, but this dog, the alleged "Papillon" that my friend paid thousands of dollars for, and all the other Laurels that are being churned out like widgets in a factory are living, breathing, caring, loving dogs who deserve to have the best lives they can.

So I think what I'm trying to say is spam me with all things Yorkie and Chorkie: the good, the bad, the ugly, the expensive, the inevitable, the unavoidable.

I will never have my 8-12 lb hiking buddy who costs pennies to feed. She will always be fragile, but she LOVES adventures, is full on fearless, and will see the old growth redwoods, live for days at a time in our "DIY micromini RV" Honda Accord conversion or even hike the Appalachian Trail in her dog sling, dog purse, or my shoulders. We deal. Nobody signs up to be an autism mom or a cancer mom either.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just an update on Laurel's progress, even if it is just for myself and only until I find a blank notebook.

My hunch was right about talking to my groomer; a proper brush and brushing technique worked as a "poor man's doggie DNA test" or at least well enough. Laurel's hair is growing in beautifully, not just where it was chewed off because of the allergies, but all over. She still doesn't like having her tail "messed with", but at least we don't have any noticeable matting and it looks much better. Her eye scoop is wearing out, but I was able to touch it up with scissors for now. She stands very nicely for brushing and we have definitely chosen "the one" to be her regular groomer and are focusing on building a lasting relationship and developing skills.

Ideally, I would like to be able to care for my own dog, even if that means learning how to do tasks in an emergency that I would rather pay someone else to do on a regular basis. It is also important to me that Laurel is eventually comfortable being dropped off with a professional she knows in case I am ever unable to care for her hair or in case she outlives me and her new person just isn't that into grooming dogs.

She is eating frozen lamb now. I don't like handling meat, but it is well packaged and the medallions really aren't that gross as long as I don't get distracted: I wash her dishes and get the next meal out to thaw before I put the bowl down. The vet did refill her Temeril prescription, but I don't want her on it forever. I'm hoping that switching laundry detergents is going to make a difference and I just need a bit more time.

I have been able to get Laurel back out on the trail and I have no intention of cramping her style---she's still her same fearless ragamuffin tomboy self inside and she deserves to enjoy being a dog, I just have to learn how to take better care of her as far as keeping her warm and dry with good quality fabrics and learning enough about Yorkies to protect her from herself if I need to. I think I might have been attributing a lot of her positive Yorkie characteristics to her Chi blood, which she does have, just not as much as I thought she did.

Her tail doesn't look as Chi as it used to when she was younger. I shudder to think of it being docked "halfway", even though I KNOW she is a mix, so it wouldn't have been. She isn't being snubbed by Chis and Chi mixes, but we've run into a few Yorkies AFK lately and she definitely gets excited when she sees them. I encourage this and am glad to see her becoming more comfortable being who she is.

Barking is something I need to deal with, though. My expectations might have been appropriate for a Chihuahua/Minpin cross but they are too harsh for Laurel: the only time you could ever describe her as "yappy" is when she is happy: during training, when something confusing suddenly "clicks" for her, when she's excited about getting to do something she loves, etc. There's no way I'm going to train that out of her: that's the size her vocal cords are and it must be difficult to always use her lower register and always try be quiet to please me. I may not be able to train when the neighbours are trying to sleep, but I won't punish my dog for expressing joy.

The first time I ever heard Laurel bark for the sheer joy of being a dog was when she heard me singing loudly and off-key along with the radio. I was surprised, but there was no real reason why a barking dog was any worse than my singing, so I'm thinking "Speak" for a single bark, "Don't speak" for when I need her to be quiet, and "Speak truth to power!" for car-singing blowing-off steam time. She does fine as far as using her lower register when she is doing her job: an intruder would know that the dog behind the door was still juvenile, but would have no idea that Laurel isn't a good sized rottie or pittie.

Her other job is companion. She is my first companion breed and I am constantly amused and amazed by how easily certain things come to her. I also had unrealistic expectations for a Yorkie about separation anxiety: no, I will not be leaving this little dog at home as much as I had originally planned. She was fantastic about switching from lap to portable crate in the middle of my private hobby lesson this week. Crate training is going to be more involved and require more patience from me than I expected and I'm going to have to grow a spine and a thick skin about being laughed at for carrying a little dog around with me everywhere I go, but this little dog is worth it.

She has completely forgiven me for every mistake I ever made out of ignorance. I don't think she is capable of understanding how much danger my species put her in because she is simply too good and innocent and pure to conceptualize risking the life of a puppy over anything as pointless and trivial as money.

·
Registered
146 Posts
But it's time to face facts. My dog daughter is NOT a Chipin backcross bred for temperment who wound up looking just like a puppy mill chorkie, she IS a puppy mill chorkie.
Just an update on Laurel's progress, even if it is just for myself and only until I find a blank notebook.
I encourage you to get yourself a notebook (my Dollar Store has some cute ones for $1) and keep a journal of your life with Laurel. I may be way off base here, but it sounds like you are still trying to convince yourself that your dog is acceptable even though she is a mix of Yorkie and Chihuahua. And I'm not sure you have reached that point just yet. Perhaps a journal will help you work through this disappointment.

She isn't being snubbed by Chis and Chi mixes, but we've run into a few Yorkies AFK lately and she definitely gets excited when she sees them. I encourage this and am glad to see her becoming more comfortable being who she is.
Dogs don't "snub" other dogs. And I have doubts about her being uncomfortable with who she was and therefore unsure why you believe she is comfortable with who she is today. I'm thinking perhaps it is you who are more accepting of what breed she is and her limitations in your outdoor lifestyle.

Believe me, I know what it's like to get more (or less) than you signed up for.
My last dog was fear aggressive and could not be easily controlled around other people or animals, which meant he spent most of his time at home or in the car. And I couldn't leave him overnight because he was epileptic and needed medication twice a day. Talk about a pooch that put a crimp in my lifestyle! But he loved his people pack and he was a great pooch. I greatly miss his sweet, smiling face.
My current pup is high-energy and somewhat emotionally needy. To make things worse, I've had some health issues crop up that are exacerbated by stress and lack of sleep. But I am confident that as she matures and allows me to sleep more than 3.5 hours at a time we will work into a routine that keeps us both happy and healthy.

I'm going to have to grow a spine and a thick skin about being laughed at for carrying a little dog around with me everywhere I go, but this little dog is worth it.
I would bet that what you perceive as people laughing at you are actually people who are chuckling because they think Laurel is just too stinkin' adorable! If there is actually someone who laughs at you then they are not a dog lover and their comments and snorts should be ignored.

Also, instead of a dog purse or a sling, you might find one of these backpacks more comfortable and stylish for your hikes (lots of pictures of people and their pups):
https://www.google.com/search?q=K9+...#imgdii=dJwkzXm2d3NflM:&imgrc=QdiDw6UHrOvK9M:

You can even get a raincoat to keep your pup warm & dry during wet hikes:
https://www.k9sportsack.com/product...MIidvnh--e4QIVHbjACh1amgRaEAQYAiABEgKmY_D_BwE

I know nothing about Yorkies or Chorkies, but I'll leave you this link that is chocked with lots of information: https://dogappy.com/personality-traits-of-chihuahua-yorkie-mix

1 - 3 of 3 Posts