Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently adopted another puppy. She's a 9 week old Beagle/Lab mix named Ally. My question is what I should watch for as far as playing between her and my 6 month old Beagle/German Shepard mix Diesel? They seem to get along great so far and are always following each other around and playing. The one thing that concerns me is that Diesel will tend to try and bite at the back of Ally's neck. I never hear her yelp like it is painful but I have been punishing Diesel for doing it. Am I being overly concerned? Any other pointers or things to watch out for?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think that unless you're seeing obvious signs of discomfort on Ally's part or if you're finding blood or cuts, there is no need to worry. Diesel is most likely asserting himself and they are arranging the pecking order. It's normal. When I got a new puppy, my older dog occasionally did the same thing -- and they are the best of friends now.

What a cutie, by the way!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Perfectly normal. They play rough and practice all the life skills of how to take down prey, chase, have sex, dominate and submit....all essential for growing up.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
If Diesel is a GSD mix, he's most likely displaying herding behavior. It's HARD to stop unless the other dog tells him to knock it off. :) I took this picture today and have many others just like it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dogs will compete to figure out who is the Alpha Dog. In any multiple dog home, there must be an Alpha Dog. You can help by seeing which one works harder to be in charge. Then, when you feed your dogs, place that dog's food down first. When you take them outside, put the leash on that dog first. Both dogs should receive the same amount of love...but if you do these things, you will show the dogs that you agree about who the Alpha Dog is...and they will not need to fight about it.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Head, neck, face, back...all fair game. Limbs and underbelly, NOT FAIR play. And if you owned a Schnauzer anything quieter than THIS, something is definitely wrong.

·
Super Moderator
11,793 Posts
Yes it does.

This is totally unacceptable.

And this is a recipe for disastor.

But this is just good, clean fun. (She's a shar-pei. They're supposed to stretch.)

Oh, and here's the same shar-pei getting mugged by a puggle (in case you don't think she loves it.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts