Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Tell your wife to calm the eff down, lol. You mentioned that he has some trust issues and I"m not surprised as it sounds like he came from a bad situation. You need to give this dog time to start to feel comfortable in your home and to trust you - five days is not enough.

Also, not all dogs learn the same. My doberman was fairly easy. He picked up quick and he's super willing to please. If I ask him for a behavior and he doesn't do it all I have to do is give him "the look" and say his name sternly. I know many dogs who only need that if they don't behave. On the other hand my Icie is COMPLETELY different. The slightest look or stern word will completely shut her down. She learned to heel in less than half an hour (not kidding) and it took me all of a day or two to teach her that furniture was not for dogs in my home. However, getting her to sit or lay down was a whole different story and those took me a few weeks. Like Amaryllis, I also suggest you look into clicker training - most dogs thrive with it.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts