Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 12lb pom mix. Very cute, very smary dog. I love him. I got him 2 years ago when I was in college and lived with my long term girlfriend. I would come home after classes and let him out. He wouldnt be alone more than 5 or 6 hrs at any time. He is now going to be about 3yrs old this summer.
I have since graduated college and work full time about 30 minutes away. I work from 8am to 5pm. Just in that time, he chews my walls, towels, clothes, and poops and pees on the floor. It HAS gotten worse. I cannot trust him outside of being locked in the kitchen. He chews the blinds if he isnt and makes holes in the carpet. I have tried regular walking, peanut butter, two trainers who cost me over $300 each time. Not sure what else to do. He is reactive to other dogs and lunges, but thats not my concern as much as the seperatoin anxiety. Before I even leave the house he is shaking and getting nervous, even if I do the whole "Wait 30 min before I go and dont say bye". I have read tons of books, etc..
I live alone now, and I start grad school in the fall. Between work and school I will be gone 12+ hrs a day. I could try to move closer to the university where I work and will be doing classes so I can sneak home, but I don't know if that will work. I most likely will already be having to repair drywall and carpet before I move out of here. He is a very sweet dog and playful, fun, and exciting when I am around him. I don't baby him, I treat him well, etc etc..
I have a crate I can put him in while I am at work but that means he will be in it 9 hours per day.
Nobody can help me with him and I cannot afford to hire a dog walker or dog day care. I am strapped and going in the negative as it is each month because I cannot afford to move from this place because I fear he will damage another property. He is so high maintainence (When he is alone or around other dogs) that I wouldnt dare think of moving in to another house with roommates.

I dont know what else to do.

I sometimes feel finding him a home with a stay at home mom or elderly person would be better, but then I fear he will try to escape or something. He is smart. He climbs chain link fences like ladders and even the doggie day care place he sometimes goes to had to install plexiglass because of him climbing. He only chews on walls where he is trying to "escape", such as around doors.
It is not really a boredom type chew, it is more like scratches and chewing to get out. I have even tried the alcohol spray for bad taste. I give him kongs every day and nylabones.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
If it is true separation anxiety (and it sounds like it), ask your vet about medication. It's a kind of mental illness and his brain chemistry may need resetting.

And lock him in the kitchen or crate if it helps. Some dogs feel more secure/less anxious in a small area.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did. I cant afford it. Its $300 for a blood test to see if he can even take some type of medication, plus the office visit. Does this sound right?

·
Registered
77 Posts
How much exercise does he get in the morning before you leave? If that were a dog of mine I would 100% crate urging the day. If he's housebroken you can certainly get a larger size crate so he can have more room. But allowing him free roam or even limited room because you feel bad isn't helping him. If anything it's putting him in danger due to the things he is chewing. Have you tried thunder shirts? You may want to look into that, a DAP diffuser, and crating during the day coupled with more exercise in the AM.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did try DAP. Didn't seem to help. I had diffuser and still have a spray i lightly put on his collar for him to wear. I will crate him tomorrow and here on out. I cannot afford any more damage. Sad thing he will be crated for 9 hours for work, then another 2 or 3 in the evening when I go shopping, errands, gym, etc...He can escape the metal crate I got him. I dont know how but he gets the door open. I put a climbing carabiner on it to lock it and he chews it until his gums bleed.
I dont walk him in the morning. Usually I walk or play with him after work.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I dont walk him in the morning. Usually I walk or play with him after work.
I would urge you to try walks in the AM for a week and see the difference it makes. You need to let him get out some bit of energy before expecting him to remain calm and relaxed while you're away for 9 hours.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
A lot of people think about rehoming their problem dogs. The thing is, there really aren't too many people out there looking for a project.

How much exercise is the dog getting?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Are you sure the $300 is for medication for separation anxiety? I know there is a test for thyroid, but they should just be able to give you SA meds and see if they work.

If that's out of the question, I very rarely suggest rehoming, but you've got a dog you can't afford to vet, who will be spending 12+ hours a day in a crate while he chews metal until his gums bleed. You might want to seriously consider contacting a pom rescue and seeing if they can help you out. I have a dog that chewed on his crate. His teeth are a mess and half of them had to be removed. That's really no life for a dog.

·
Registered
147 Posts
more exercise, more challenges... he needs something to keep him busy, to get his "smart" energy redirected toward something useful instead of outsmarting you as an escape artist and chewing up the place. Try looking for some dog endurance exercises. Work him out well. He's a high energy dog that needs plenty of training and regular exercise. So before you leave spend 60minutes of solid walking/running with him (how about roller blading? swimming? Perhaps get him one of those kiddy pools just deep enough for him to swim in :D ) whatever you can get! You need to really put your mind and creativity to it if you want to keep him. If you really don't see that happening, re home him to a good place.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
+1 to "more exercise," especially in the morning. If you're not crating him, you could try hiding things like a stuffed kong around the house for him to find. I know city border collie people who do this with good success. But exercise is way more important. We walk or run Biscuit a minimum of 5 miles a day (in addition to training time) and at least half of that is before I go to work -- and Biscuit is alone for only about 8 hours a day, and we have a dog walker come every day. If we didn't do this, Biscuit would be a much different and less pleasant dog. As things stand, she sleeps all day. Before turning to medication or rehoming, you should try making the goal of your life tiring out the dog. Bonus: it's free!

·
Registered
147 Posts
you could try hiding things like a stuffed kong around the house for him to find. I know city border collie people who do this with good success. But exercise is way more important. We walk or run Biscuit a minimum of 5 miles a day (in addition to training time) and at least half of that is before I go to work -- and Biscuit is alone for only about 8 hours a day, and we have a dog walker come every day.
yes! There is your advice. Good examples of how creativity and effort are needed in this case, so it all depends how much you want - and have time to do it. :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great ideas. +1 on the swimming. I think that would be fun for him. I feel bad for him. He chews his water bowl in the crate now and makes his gums bleed, and he is sick now. He was in the crate all day the past week (Since I first posted) as I do repairs on my house. I came home for lunch and he is sick throwing up because of the stress he has in the crate. I took the rest of the day off so I can let him rest without being stressed. I am going to try to get the local doggie day care I take him to to possibly give me a better rate on a 20 day pass, its $200 a month, but I do web work so maybe I can barter with them. In the mean time, I will just have to get more exercise in the morning. I really wish I could let him roam my house without him peeing or messsing up the blinds.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I agree that more exercise is called for. And crate him. 9 hours is a long time but you can work on improving things as soon as possible by doing one or more of the following eventually:

(1) Get a VERY large crate. A little dog like that in an XL crate with a toy and some water will be quite happy.
(2) Check with friends who live in your area--perhaps you could trade off dog walking at lunch for something they need done (babysitting? crafts? bike repair? Be creative!). Bartering w/ the doggy daycare place is a great idea and you'll have more!
(3) Get your lovely dog into an agility class. Save up for it. You'll both have fun, he'll burn off energy, and he'll be learning a fun skill.

:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update -
I have taken him on some nice long uphill hikes, last night. He was wore out. I did not have time to take him on a walk this morning. I also went and spend $200 on a new crate (plastic because his small one wass plastic and he didnt chew it) so I thought he would be fine in this large one, as you can see, he wasnt

I am just going to hopefully exchange it for a wire one with a cover if the store allows me too. So upsetting. His gums and lips are bleeding, his nose hair is gone and bleeding because he shoves his nose through the hole he made.
I gave him some calming tab and sprayed the small crate (his old one) with DAP today whilE I go back to work. I have a plans tonight at 7pm and he will be re crated during that time. This sucks,.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Yikes, that sucks! Hope things improve. I just want to encourage you to give morning exercise a shot. I know you said he was worn out, but think about it, if you go for a run in the evening and tire yourself out, and then get a good night's sleep, you're probably not going to still feel particularly tired the next day. It's the same for dogs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts