Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody. I am new so I am sorry if this is already discussed somewhere but I did a quick search and didn't find what I was looking for.

So I recently got 2 puppies (both male) and they are set up for their neutering in 2 weeks but i really do not want to neuter them. I was wondering if I do not get it done are they eventually going to have a fight to be the dominant male? They already have scuffles here and there (they are 3-4 months now). It can get pretty ugly looking/sounding but never nothing serious. They have seemed to calm down the last week or so. I have noticed that if I spend extra time playing with them, wearing them down they seem to be really relaxed but I know once I start working I wont have the time to play with them that I do now.

For a little background the dogs appear to be a mixture of Pitt-Bull, Lab and German Shepard.
And they have a decent sized yard to play in.

I really do not want to neuter them but I am worried that as they get older they might begin to see each other as an enemy rather than friend. I never had 2 males at the same time so if I could get some insight I would appreciate it. Thank You.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I wouldn't count on neutering preventing any scuffles. That's mostly in how you manage them. Neutering is mainly for birth control and has few behavioral benefits in dogs. The bigger question is, can you responsibly keep unneutered dogs? Can you prevent them from ever impregnating a female? Are they kept under control at all times? If you have any doubt about that, it's best to neuter :). Although I wouldn't do it so young.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
I love pits and pit mixes, and would love to own one someday.

Ain't no way I'd have two of the same gender, same age, reaching the same history and with an unknown background/parents/genetic history stay together *and* unneutered. I'm all about stacking the deck toward success. That means, to me, neutering.

Hell, to me that would be different ages, different genders, different history, *and* altered. But since you can't do all of that: NEUTER.

·
Registered
583 Posts
So I recently got 2 puppies (both male) and they are set up for their neutering in 2 weeks but i really do not want to neuter them. I was wondering if I do not get it done are they eventually going to have a fight to be the dominant male? They already have scuffles here and there (they are 3-4 months now).
I think the neuter is a good idea if for no other reason than they will be less likely to run off when local dogs are in season.
As for the scraps or rough play , this may continue until the ranking is complete. I agree with Willowy in that you will be able to manage this with a little OB training and firm consistent correction and exercise. I would start working on training/manners and you will have much better control as time goes on. They are very young so don't expect a lot right now as you are laying ground work for later.

oldhounddog

·
Registered
583 Posts
I love pits and pit mixes, and would love to own one someday.

Ain't no way I'd have two of the same gender, same age, reaching the same history and with an unknown background/parents/genetic history stay together *and* unneutered. I'm all about stacking the deck toward success. That means, to me, neutering.

Hell, to me that would be different ages, different genders, different history, *and* altered. But since you can't do all of that: NEUTER.
I guess you could plan for anything, however , it doesn't always come to us that way and we have to play the hand we are given. Sometimes this is a great fit and best dogs ever. I do rescue work and see all of my dogs as special in their own way.
To me , dog work , is a continuing effort that only gets better as time goes by.

oldhounddog

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
I guess you could plan for anything, however , it doesn't always come to us that way and we have to play the hand we are given. Sometimes this is a great fit and best dogs ever. I do rescue work and see all of my dogs as special in their own way.
To me , dog work , is a continuing effort that only gets better as time goes by.

oldhounddog
I didn't say you could plan for everything - I said that I'd try. Sometimes throws curve balls -and dogs- at your head. But neutering two same-sex littermates coming to sexual maturity at the same time? That you control.

And it's easy.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
If you're not planning on breeding, you can properly manage and contain them, you're prepared for daycares/places of that nature not to take intact animals, then don't neuter them if you don't want to.

·
Registered
583 Posts
CptJack ,
I agree with you .
Just saying that all these things you would prefer not to have can end up being a great pair of dogs. You know , Luck of the draw so to speak.

Best , oldhounddog

·
Registered
201 Posts
To be honest,I´d neuter them,because through experience,a male dog can smell a female in season from literally a mile away (even if he´s indoors),and that will lead them to trying to run away at every chance they get.
My mother in law (we live here on her land) had two female raters that she used for breeding.We live well over a mile away from ANYTHING and ANYONE,yet when one of those girls was in heat,the same dog (amongst others) would apear day after day on her land trying to get at her.Turns out the dog belonged to a man that lives a couple of miles away and this dog would escape from his own house and come all the way here! The last time he got out,he got hit by a car and was killed.
He wasnt the only dog that ever turned up either..god knows where the rest came from

I´ve always neutered my males for this reason and because when you have two males,they tend to mark to claim their territory,so that solves that problem if you do it early on too.
It also prevents testicular cancer.

Neutering is 100% benefits if you ask me.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Yeah when I neutered my JRT after I knew I wouldnt be able to show him anymore due to time constraints & I have to admit that part of me wishes I left him a full man (he's a really nice dog but what's done is done) & I didn't change his personality a bit but what it DOES change is how other DOGS react to HIM & I suppose it will be the same with your guys, be prepared for other dogs to treat them differently.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Please neuter them. The world hardly needs more pit mixes.

True story: The guy 3 houses down from me has a male German Shepherd. A guy a block away has a female lab. Neither was fixed. One night, the GSD is in the backyard behind an 8 foot wooden privacy fence. Suddenly, he goes nuts and proceeds to repeatedly slam himself into the fence. He broke through the fence, and broke his shoulder, and on that broken shoulder ran a block and jumped over a 6 foot chain link fence to mate with the lab in the yard. The owner was with the lab in the yard, they mated anyway.

People say "oh yeah, I can totally control my dog, no problem" but they have no idea how far a dog will go to mate with a female in heat.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I fostered 2, 10 week old, female pit mixes. Mom was pitt, dad was a cross between lab, mastiff, GD we think. When they would play together they sounded like they were trying to kill each other. I would break up things when it got to rough, but the longer they were around the more I realized it was how they play. When other dogs, small, large, old young, didn't matter would be thrown into the mix, they were completely civilized.

My two adult male dogs (non-pits, not that it matters) get along great, both are submissive to the female of the house. They get to playing outside and they noises they make have sent me running to see if they were actually fighting. I get out side and they both look at me with "what" faces.

As for neutering, and this is my own opinion, if you are not planing on breeding (responsibly) or showing then I see no reason not to neuter.

·
Registered
905 Posts
If you can be prepared to train and accept the possibility that you may need to separate them in the future (same sex aggression can sometimes be an issue, neutered or not neutered) and you can keep them contained, what you do with their bits is up to you. That is presuming they aren't from a shelter/rescue where you are obligated to neuter them. If they're already having scuffles, though, (and they're beyond the normal puppy wrestling) you will likely want to get a head start on training.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
If you neuter them - you don't get puppies, you don't get testicular cancer, you significantly reduce the chance of prostate cancer, you reduce the chance that other dogs will fight with them.... Everything else... including humping and aggression ... can still occur, reduced by training.
Get it done by 6 mos, although you can wait until 2 years.

If you don't neuter - You have to control them when other dogs are in heat, you have to train and socialize them well to reduce the chance of fighting, you have a chance of cancer (but it isn't large),

You dogs may or may not fight in either case. I neutered my dog... he's 11 yo, 65 lb, Lab-GSD, and in great shape.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
If you neuter them - you don't get puppies, you don't get testicular cancer, you significantly reduce the chance of prostate cancer, ... including humping and aggression ... can still occur, reduced by training.
One small correction on misinformation here. Neutering significantly increases the risk of prostate cancer. Not the other way around. It also increases the incidences of Hemangiosarcoma and some long bone cancers.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Neuter!

There's enough intact dogs out there and no lack of unwanted dogs.

You can be as responsible as you possibly can be but there are still going to be issues, likely because of their breed and that they're littermates, even if they get along great with each other, they'll likely be pushy with other dogs. And because of their breeds and being a mix, it's likely others people will be judgemental as well. People aren't always the smartest, I've run into girls in season at the dog park (only found that out after I apologized for the third time and removed my boy - it wasn't like she had just come into season, she was willing to stand for anything), had intact bitches jump the fence into the yard..... better safe than puppies.

My boy is intact, but has never been a problem (aside from the dog park thing and he doesn't get along with all dogs, but he's not leaving my side to go pick fights). He's going to get shown coming up to either get points on him or my other dog, since there's not a lot of their breed in the ring here. If it was ever a huge problem, they'd be gone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts