Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey y'all and thanks for stopping by to read my thread. I just got a 4 month old Golden Retriever and I'm planning to crate train him soon. My question is...

When this dog gets older, do I still use a crate? Do I let him become a "free roamer" around the house? What if he breaks, chews things, or gets himself hurt?

Please, someone answer this question for me. Thanks in advance! :confused:

·
Registered
498 Posts
I think it is completely up to you.

Personally, I crated Ruby until she was housebroken, slept through the night and was not destructive. Now she is confined if I leave the house for more than a few minutes, in the laundry room with a bed, toys etc, for my own peace of mind, because I know she is a little anxious when I leave and I dont want that to turn into destructiveness. It also means that if I ever needed to have her confined she will not be confused about suddenly having to stay in a room alone. But she is generally out all night and all the time if me or my husband is home.

She was 5.5months when I stopped crating her, but that time period will be different for different dogs, and may never happen for some dogs.

I also never intended for her to always be crated, because that is not how I am used to dogs being, but that is my personal opinion, and I still crate-trained her as though it was permanent, just in case it was necessary.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Hey y'all and thanks for stopping by to read my thread. I just got a 4 week old Golden Retriever and I'm planning to crate train him soon. My question is...

When this dog gets older, do I still use a crate? Do I let him become a "free roamer" around the house? What if he breaks, chews things, or gets himself hurt?

Please, someone answer this question for me. Thanks in advance! :confused:
congrats on ur puppy! i love goldies. i think it will all depend on your dogs personality.. some dogs are curious until their last day and will always get them selves in trouble if left to themselves. i agree that you should train as if it will be a permanent thing. However your puppy is very young to be taken from its litter so you may need to wait a little longer to train bc it is very stressfull on the pup at first. it may be good to let him get over the separation anxiety before crating him

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
congrats on ur puppy! i love goldies. i think it will all depend on your dogs personality.. some dogs are curious until their last day and will always get them selves in trouble if left to themselves. i agree that you should train as if it will be a permanent thing. However your puppy is very young to be taken from its litter so you may need to wait a little longer to train bc it is very stressfull on the pup at first. it may be good to let him get over the separation anxiety before crating him
Oh gosh, I'm sorry. I meant 4 month old.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Oh gosh, I'm sorry. I meant 4 month old.
oh lol.. well he should be just the right age to start. the key is to make it fun for him. you dont want him to think of the crate as a cage or prision but as a safe place to lay and sleep. just make sure when first introducing him to the crate you watch what kind of bedding or toys you put in there in case he trys to start eating them which could give him severe intestine problems.

·
Registered
61 Posts
As the other poster said, it's entirely up to you. You need to be consistent with using the crate until he is trustworthy. If he has an accident or damages something, then put him back in the crate for a week or two. You kind of have to just feel it out and use yoru best judgement. But I would think you would want to consistently crate him until he is at least 9 months. I would gradually give him freedom after that. For example, first leave him gated in the kitchen, and make sure he can't get into anything at his level. Then if he's good in there for a month or so, maybe let him have more freedom. But all the time... be sure anything that would tempt him with a smell (crayons, empty lunchboxes, leather goods, cough drops, etc.) are where he can't get them. My first dog loved to chew anything plastic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts