Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
She does. I'd like to say she's some sort of Husky/Northern mix but I think it's a fairly safe bet to say she's a hybrid. The middle picture, her face in the bowl, really showing the narrow, longer snout particularly sets it off to me, but all the pictures anyway. Any idea of any wolfdog/hybrid rescues within reasonable distance? Or any rescues that would be willing to take in such a dog? She's gorgeous. Any more information/encounters with her? Obviously friendly enough to eat from you at a distance, at least.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lady lived across the road, has had her for two years or three maybe. She claimed her to be wolf. The owner had became involved in Meth, began selling things off, lost hear mobile home, lived in a camper, the man who bought the property a year earlier had her evicted. She said she would get the dog, but has not been seen since.
I thought the dog was gone as well, then we noticed her. I walk by this farm with all of mine very often, almost daily, but she hides. So I took her food, she will come out, not close enough to touch her yet.

I have never heard her bark or howl in two years. She was friendly with the owner, but very shy around others, and wants nothing to do with dogs.
I have contacted a couple rescues, no luck yet. The land owner was going to shoot her, but she has hidden when he comes out there. No animal control here, the deputy offered to "take care of her" .

·
Registered
259 Posts
I hate that country bs. Until the dog gives someone a real reason to do such, it's absolute animal cruelty and the deputy should lock himself up if he were to "take care of her" as implied in that statement. Good luck to you, and hopefully you're able to find a place somewhere for her. I'm very, very far from an expert on wolfdogs but that description of her sounds pretty accurate as to what I do actually know of such dogs.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Its hard to tell because the pictures are not the best, but I can tell you the animal is not a pure wolf or a high content. I see a white tipped tail, white nails, ears appear farely large also.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't get much closer for better pics yet. She does have white nails, most if not all. She would probably be eighty lbs maybe ninety at a correct weight. The owner said she was full, but she isn't.

We did have a wolf that was abandoned a few years ago. He went to wolf park they believed him to be full, but he looked quite different.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, Cindy thank you. Anything else that may help decide? I don't know if she has any wolf in her at all. To be honest I hope she doesn't!

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Yes, Cindy thank you. Anything else that may help decide? I don't know if she has any wolf in her at all. To be honest I hope she doesn't!
I don't know. . .sadly, it's usually easier to get a wolf/high-content wolfdog into rescue than a dog.

If I saw her running around, I would think she's a wolf. I'm no expert, of course, but she's the wolfiest looking (supposed) "wolfdog" I've ever seen. I hope you can get a rescue to take her before someone else "takes care" of her :(.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
hope you catch it. If you need a foster contact me on a pm. Do you know of anyone with a large safe animal trap? Had a co-worker lose her dog in another state. Dog was on the loose for 3 weeks. By this time she was frightened of everything. A live animal trap is what finally got her dog caught. maybe a local rescue group can help you with the trap.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cindy, thank you I contacted the rescue, they believe she is a malamute as well.

I can probably get a trap, though I would rather see if I can gain her trust and attempt a lead, I do have a catch pole. She definitely will need a home, I have 7 currently and such a busy place here with training, she will need somewhere quiet. She seems terrified of dogs, though I know she was with another dog at one time.
Its really sad, when she first sees me, she comes running and bouncing, then stops and looks depressed. I feel she is expecting her owner. :(

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
She looks more Husky to me, but with maybe little wolf in her. But Cindy is the expert, I'm learning so much how to tell the difference between a wolf and wolf dog. Sometimes it's easy, others it's not. It's great, thanks Cindy!!!

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Oh I disagree with you Cindy. Many on this forum look up to you for 'expert advice' when deciding on a background to a dog's wofiness or not. You offer more sound advice than the 'wolf expert' that was on the Milan show recently.

" Hail to cindy" I say. and I think others would be on my side. In my years on this earth I have learned that those who do not claim expert status, know more than those who brag about expert status. Thank you so much for the link I truly miss my mal and enjoy looking at them.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I do have to agree it's the most wolf-like assumed wolf-dog I've seen in a long while, even if the details don't match.

To compare, here's a beast who crossed my path recently

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What a beautiful picture!

So update, the dog is happily meeting me in the drive, bounding and jumping and playing. Still will not co.e within more than a few feet. She will occasionally stop, get a look about her that really makes me uncomfortable. Almost as if she is sizing me up lol. Then she darts into the woods again.

I am very confident handling dogs, fearful dogs, aggressive dogs, real problems. No doubt this girl will bite if pushed. We are going to take it slow, I don't want her to feel pressured. Another neighbor is also stopping by to feed her. Though I have cautioned her, I don't think she realizes this is a serious situation. She is one that thinks all dogs love hugs, and dog knows we are trying to help her.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts